Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Extension Cable for aerial

Hi everyone

Wall box is the other side of my living room to my TV, so I need a longer cable to reach. What sort of cable do I need? Can I pick one up from B&Q or is this a special virgin cable?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Extension Cable for aerial

Hi,

You will need a coax cable that got solid insulation as the normal cables with the air gaps can cause errors, you most likely will find one online possibly on Amazon. however the connections will need to be nice and tight otherwise you could create errors.

The best option would be to book someone from Virgin to attend but this wont be possible until after the lock down has finished as they aren't booking in these types of jobs.

Many Thanks, Chris  

To PM just hover over my profile picture and click Send Message when the option comes up. Please don't post any of the info I've asked for in this thread as it's public

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that.

So it's a simple coax cable?? I thought it would be different to that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It is different to that. Simple coax will not do the job. The solution offered above is temporary. You need a coax cable with solid insulation. Not the usual air gap insulation that a simple aerial extension cable provides.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok, cool.

Given the current climate and I'm sure the impossibility of getting an engineer out, is there a place I can buy one myself? Is it the sort of thing I can order on B&Q or Amazon?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The strict rule on this Forum is that we do not recommend products. That is particularly relevant here because the solution being offered is strictly sticking plaster. Adding to the coax length or using non-VM coax could introduce noise into your system and into the system of everyone connected to your network segment. It could also unbalance the power levels in your system leading to degraded quality or no TV at all. You do this at your own risk (albeit a small one). Where do you think it might be best to look?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, new here so didn't know the rules. Simply looking for help.

I'll look around.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Depending on distance an alternative could be to leave the V6 where it is and use a long HDMI cable.

If you have a standard HD tv then you should manage 5m but only about 3m for 4K.

The highest possible quality would be needed for these so I guess they won't be cheap.

(edit:- looks like you can get quite long 4K cables (10m) - not sure how well they work - experience anyone?)

0 Kudos