Menu
Reply
LRW
  • 4
  • 0
  • 1
Tuning in
857 Views
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Extend Live Recordings

So I have the “extend live recordings” setting selected.

Today I come home to watch a recording of the rain sodden F1 qualifying. Due to the rain this was delayed for some time.

Gets to the last gripping few moments of the qualifying session - and the recording stops. No extra recording time was added.

This isn’t the first time I’ve missed a deleted F1 session, due to the recording not extending.

Is this a known issue with virgin? Is there anything else I can do with the box to prevent it happening again??

0 Kudos
Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
848 Views
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extend Live Recordings

recordings will not know the program has changed times. the EPG only updates now and again its not live
0 Kudos
Reply
nodrogd
  • 16.47K
  • 1.92K
  • 3.94K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
846 Views
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extend Live Recordings

You can only set an extension automatically of up to 5 minutes. To extend more than this you have to do this individually. This can be done in two ways.

1) Create a manual recording to start & stop irrespective of the guide data.

2) Go in & edit the planned recording once set using the “modify recording” option.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Reply
LRW
  • 4
  • 0
  • 1
Tuning in
838 Views
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extend Live Recordings

Thanks I appreciate the reply. 

Manually extending the recording isn’t much use, when I’m out of the house and I don’t know the broadcast is being extended. 

my previous provider managed to do it automatically with their box, so the technology exists, but probably Virgin just don’t see it as a needed feature.

I guess this is yet another minor gripe I’ll add to the long list until I can cancel my contract. 

Thank You !!

0 Kudos
Reply
Roger_Gooner
  • 6.54K
  • 473
  • 1.14K
Legend
821 Views
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extend Live Recordings

You can use the Virgin TV Control app on your mobile or tablet to modify the recording options.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Reply
LRW
  • 4
  • 0
  • 1
Tuning in
763 Views
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extend Live Recordings

But that still requires me to be aware it needs extending. I’m out. I’m not watching. I am unaware it needs extending. Hence the need for it to be down automatically. 

0 Kudos
Reply
ozsat
  • 4.42K
  • 312
  • 818
Community elder
740 Views
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Extend Live Recordings

If you actually select the F1 from the guide you can extend the record much more (up to 3 hours) - you can manually amend it in My Recordings too.

You can also amend the 'Series Link' of Live sports to record up to 3 hours more.

Use 'Modify Series Link' on the required series.

Yesterday things got delayed a long time due to the rain.


@LRW wrote:

So I have the “extend live recordings” setting selected.

Today I come home to watch a recording of the rain sodden F1 qualifying. Due to the rain this was delayed for some time.

Gets to the last gripping few moments of the qualifying session - and the recording stops. No extra recording time was added.

This isn’t the first time I’ve missed a deleted F1 session, due to the recording not extending.

Is this a known issue with virgin? Is there anything else I can do with the box to prevent it happening again??


 

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
ozsat
  • 4.42K
  • 312
  • 818
Community elder
732 Views
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extend Live Recordings

The 'Extend Live Recordings' option in settings does NOT extend recordings - it only prompts you to see if you want to extend them when you select from the guide.

It turns out that some SkyQ customers also failed to get the end of the recording of qualifying.

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
TonyNew983
  • 10
  • 0
  • 4
Tuning in
710 Views
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extend Live Recordings

I have my series link set to add one hour on the live F1 programmes.


@nodrogd wrote:

You can only set an extension automatically of up to 5 minutes. To extend more than this you have to do this individually. This can be done in two ways.

1) Create a manual recording to start & stop irrespective of the guide data.

2) Go in & edit the planned recording once set using the “modify recording” option.


 

LRW
  • 4
  • 0
  • 1
Tuning in
694 Views
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extend Live Recordings

Thank you Ozsat! This is a good solution. 

I’ve changed my series link, so now it over records 3hrs for every recording. This should now catch most delays.

Thank you, and everyone else, for the input. 

🙂


@ozsat wrote:

If you actually select the F1 from the guide you can extend the record much more (up to 3 hours) - you can manually amend it in My Recordings too.

You can also amend the 'Series Link' of Live sports to record up to 3 hours more.

Use 'Modify Series Link' on the required series.

Yesterday things got delayed a long time due to the rain.


@LRW wrote:

So I have the “extend live recordings” setting selected.

Today I come home to watch a recording of the rain sodden F1 qualifying. Due to the rain this was delayed for some time.

Gets to the last gripping few moments of the qualifying session - and the recording stops. No extra recording time was added.

This isn’t the first time I’ve missed a deleted F1 session, due to the recording not extending.

Is this a known issue with virgin? Is there anything else I can do with the box to prevent it happening again??