Menu
gilesnp
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Experiencing the classic Green Screen of Doom

Hi there,

Since Friday night my V6 box has been caught in the Green Screen of Doom reboot loop. I've phoned the support line twice today, and the first time I was disconnected by the help bot who told me my services were fine (they're not) and then I got cut off after 1 hour 2 minutes of being on hold (I assume when someone was trying to transfer me).

I have tried rebooting it many times, both by turning it off at the little switch on the back of the box, and turning off everything at the wall, but nothing has solved it.

I'm guessing I need a new box - can someone help please?

Also, I've just registered for this forum, but I already have a VM account but I can't sign in due to the essential changes that are being made.

Thanks in advance,

Giles

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Experiencing the classic Green Screen of Doom

Hi Giles,

Sorry to see you are having the fatal green screen of doom.

Unfortunately  you do need to contact the Faults team (again) on 150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1 and 2 (Faultsbut best to call at 8am or mid afternoon/tea time to avoid call queues

When calling Faults hopefully the system will recognise that you've called before and place you into a queue for an agent to pick up.

If not and you get the automated response asking you to press 1 for the link to online support, run a test etc, ignore the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and resolve the problem.

You could also try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of TV Faults to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. 

Failing that you can wait for a member of the Forum Team to pick this up, however you are looking at a few days to a week.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

gilesnp
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ah thanks Dave, that's helpful to know. I'm on hold again to them at the moment, but if this fails I'll try again at 8am tomorrow.

If I don't have any success then, I'll just have to wait for one of the team to get to this message.

Have a good evening! 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Calling in really is the best way. I would strongly suggest you persist with the 150 route, however frustrating it may get.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

gilesnp
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying - at least I know that I have to just keep calling.

It is frustrating, I don't think I've had to stay on hold (not to mention be cut off as often) with any company for this long. On the plus side, I think I've learnt all the words to the 4 or 5 hold songs now.

0 Kudos
gilesnp
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

(Replying to myself here) I sat on hold AGAIN this morning for an hour, and eventually had to give up (I've got to do some work, haha!). I texted that automated number and put myself in a queue - hopefully someone from VM will pick this up this week too.

Do you think it's worth me trying to call again until I hear FROM Virgin, or is that unfair? Whilst I am very frustrated, I know I'm not the only person in the world who may want to get through, so I don't want to be a resources hog.

Thanks again for all your help, my new forum friends.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@gilesnp wrote:

Do you think it's worth me trying to call again until I hear FROM Virgin, or is that unfair? Whilst I am very frustrated, I know I'm not the only person in the world who may want to get through, so I don't want to be a resources hog.

If you have a service fault that can't be resolved by other means (which you do), then you are perfectly justified in calling.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

gilesnp
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:
If you have a service fault that can't be resolved by other means (which you do), then you are perfectly justified in calling.

Yeah, good point - I'll try again later tonight (looks like the lines are open until 10pm - those poor souls) or tomorrow morning! Thanks again.

0 Kudos
gilesnp
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey newapollo and japitts - thanks for your help with this. I got through on Monday night at about 7:30pm (immediately, too - I wasn't even ready and didn't have my account number or ANYTHING haha), and an engineer is coming round between 12 and 4pm today.

I never heard back from the text number, even though they quoted 'within 4 hours'. Still, it should be sorted today - I'll update this thread later and then I can mark this question as closed (if that's a thing).

Cheers!

0 Kudos