Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Exisitgn Coxial Cable

Hi all

I had Virgin installed a few years ago into the lounge and an upstairs room. I then left and came back to virgin a  few years later and the lounge room remained the same but I switched the room I wanted upstairs so the installation guy installed a new cable to that point but left the old coaxial cable feeding the old room in situ and left it connected in the junction box at the oncoming point into the house. I am now building an outdoor garden room and cable is long enough but I just need to (i thought) was to add a connector to the end (see photo). So I bought one and trimmed the cable and thought when i plugged this into my virgin box it would work but it doesn't. Question is that i have a box on the inside wall of the house (see photo) that the black cable runs into and out of that runs a white cable. Do I need one of these boxes to do something to the signal so i can move my second box outside? Don't really want to pay £99 for a virgin engineer if its a quick fix, which i thought it was!

Thanks all.cable 1.jpgcable 2.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Exisitgn Coxial Cable

Hi

You will probably find that the external cable from the white box isn’t connected in the brown box. 
The white box holds an isolator designed to protect your home and our network from power surges or lightning strikes. 
The reason we disconnect cables is to stop noise getting onto our network. This causes major issues with SNR which causes lots of customers to have problems with their services. 
The connector you have done a DIY job on will cause issues if connected to our network. We use correct tools to put these on make them off to our standard. 

Here to help! I'm a manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Exisitgn Coxial Cable

So its defiantly connected in the external wall box. 

Does in then need a callout engineer to simply terminate the cable end?

0 Kudos