Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Error trying to play an old recording.

Hi, this is an odd one. I’m trying to watch a show recorded a while ago on BBC4. However, I get the message “No Longer Available. We’re sorry but this recording can’t be viewed because BBC4 is no longer available from Virgin Media.”

Does anyone have any idea what on earth is going on here? It’s the same with other BBC4 recordings too, which I have stored on my box from a couple of years ago.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Error trying to play an old recording.

Hello

Yes that is because the channels were swapped around BB4 was replaced by the HD version, once that is done the channel guide no longer point to the correct channel I am afraid that any recordings will not be playable.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Oh no, what a disaster. I had loads of old Top of The Pops episodes I was looking forward to finally watching too. I guess there’s no workaround then?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

All you can do is delete the programs to recover the space on your box.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Anthony_M wrote:

Hi, this is an odd one. I’m trying to watch a show recorded a while ago on BBC4. However, I get the message “No Longer Available. We’re sorry but this recording can’t be viewed because BBC4 is no longer available from Virgin Media.”

Does anyone have any idea what on earth is going on here? It’s the same with other BBC4 recordings too, which I have stored on my box from a couple of years ago.

Thanks for any help.

Virgins licences only allow recording "for timeshifting purposes" so your recording should only be seen as temporary. If a channel is removed or changed (SD for HD or a national version changed to a regional one), Virgin will continue to transmit a flag that keeps the programmes viewable for up to a year, depending on the agreement with the broadcaster. After this time the flag is removed & the programmes are no longer viewable.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993