Menu
Nex
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Error 604 and 603 rant

Ok, so I have had a bit of a fun time trying to troubleshoot this error 604 and 603 when trying to play sky cinema movies. This only crept up recently, and I have a very strong feeling I know how/why. This same TV has worked flawlessly for Sky Cinema movies until say the past month or so.

I have a fairly old TV, samsung (I've seen this to be a common theme in other threads), model number UE55HU8500.

After ringing up customer services, I got notified twice that the issue was resolved (via text message), it wasn't. I then called back and was just fobbed off saying it was a common problem and it'd be sorted out May 13th 9am. (Yeah right). I said, this issue is only present on one of my Tivo's (or TV's, should I say), as the other TV and TIVO are 1080p (and work fine).

Now, I've seen the support page for error 604, and 603, and that's got to do with HDCP 2.2  compliance. This then got me thinking, well, HDCP 2.2 is only needed for UHD content, and the movies I'm looking at are NOT UHD.

It was then I noticed that Sky cinema UHD was added to the on demand. Bingo. This is new (don't recall seeing it before), and now that this was introduced, all content that isn't even UHD requires HDCP 2.2.

My TV was plugged into HDMI 1, which does NOT apparently have HDCP 2.2. HDMI port 4 however is labelled MHL, and this works at 4k. 

So, begs the question, was HDCP 2.2 recently introduced on Tivo 6 boxes, and if so, why is it enforced on non UHD content? Surely this is a bigger issue than just myself with slightly older 4k tellies?

Random signature here... I'll get back to this some day!
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Error 604 and 603 rant

HDCP compliance is a requirement on V6 & 360 boxes when viewing on a 4K/UHD TV. The TiVo box doesn't support 4K output.'

If your equipment has issues with HDCP compliance, then part of the troubleshooting is to drop your V6's output to 1080, thus allowing your TV to upscale from 1080>2160.

Sky UHD-OD was introduced around the end of February IIRC, HDCP compliance has been required since the back-end of 2020.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Nex
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate the reply, however, it's missing a few key points.

Yes, the Tivo was set up to 2160 all this time, to an HDCP 2.0 port. All LIVE channels work fine. Sky sports HD, fine. Sky cinema live, fine. Everything, including Virgin's UHD channel, happy larry, no problems whatsoever.

It's literally JUST sky cinema OD where this crops up (Not UHD sky cinema). And this has been a very recent change, probably due to Sky cinema UHD being included and just pushing a blanket rollout of HDCP 2.2 for everything for all Sky cinema content.

The Tivo is now connected to an HDCP 2.2 port on the TV (TV only has one, so lucky it had that for how old TV it is). My problem is that, the software (or HDCP requirements) have subsequently changed for all REGULAR sky cinema movies in the last month or so. THAT is my problem here, and this is going to catch a load of people out. I've happily watched sky cinema on both the same HW for the last 2 years no problems whatsoever. The enforcement of HDCP 2.2 on regular sky cinema is honestly, not acceptable if it's not UHD content?

I fully get if I subscribe to the sky cinema UHD content that I should have a compatible input, but for regular stuff? Nah.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As already mentioned, HDCP2.2 compliance is a requirement for watching various VoD content on a 4K/UHD TV, and if you don't have that compliance then the fix is to drop your V6 output to 1080.

This requirement is largely being driven by the broadcasters & content providers, so your complaint is best directed at them. In this case, Sky. I appreciate that you're suggestiing that this requirement should only apply to UHD content and not upscaled-HD content - again, this is something you'll need to take up with Sky.

Given that HDCP2.2 has been industry-standard for several years now - this requirement is only likely to become more prevalent. Not less.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Nex 

I've been speaking with our TV guys on this issue and they've just asked for some info to better understand what's going on. Could you let us know the following if ongoing please?

1. Make/model of your TV?
  2. Whether you're seeing an issue anywhere other than watching Sky Movies content via on demand? Does it happen on live TV, for instance?
  3. Can you confirm you're using an appropriate 4K HDMI cable?
  4. I note you're connecting to the HDCP 2.2 compliant port, could you just confirm that issues persist with this setup?
Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Nex
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kev,

1. Make/model of your TV? - In original post, Samsung UE55HU8500.
  2. Whether you're seeing an issue anywhere other than watching Sky Movies content via on demand? Does it happen on live TV, for instance? - Only on sky cinema, all live channels just fine
  3. Can you confirm you're using an appropriate 4K HDMI cable? - Yes, it's an XBox 1 official cable, so I believe it's 1.4? Not 100% sure.
  4. I note you're connecting to the HDCP 2.2 compliant port, could you just confirm that issues persist with this setup? - Once moved to the HDCP 2.2 port (port 4 on my model), all issues resolved, but it's been fine ever since up until say a couple weeks ago on a NON HDCP 2.2 port (it was in HDMI 1 for the last 6 years). Literally ever since the introduction of sky cinema UHD this seems to have started. I mean, I get it, as @japitts said, HDCP 2.2 is now the "new norm", but it certainly caught me out unawares, and the CS dept had no clue as to why either. They just wanted to confirm I have a 4k tv (which I do), and using a decent HDMI cable (which I should be). It was only upon further digging did I see the HDCP 2.2 problem reported pretty wide here.

Minor edit: This XBOX one cable was used AFTER swapping out another cable which had the same problem, so 2 cables same issue, moved port, both work again on HDCP 2.2. Checking, I believe the cable is HDMI1.4, which "should" be 4k. I'm now ordering a brand new HDMI 2.0/1.4 cable just to make sure.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The problem is you are using the Xbox HDMI 1.4 cable.

HDCP is a means of copy protection and won't work with a 1.4 HDMI cable.

The cable that was issued with your V6 should work.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
0 Kudos
Nex
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ok, but then please explain why it's working fine now WITH the xbox hdmi 1.4 cable, and in a 2.2 port @4k res 🙂 I see what you're getting at, but it's working just fine now with the same cable, but different input port on the TV (with hdcp 2.2 being the only difference). It's not the cable as such, although I AM getting a 2.0 cable tomorrow and will try HDMI 1-3 again, and also port 4. I am well aware my TV is aging, and it's probably time for an upgrade, but as long as it works, I'm using it 🙂

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi again nex,

According to the manual - page 20 in my Chrome browser Samsung Manual 

"HDCP 2.2 can only use the HDMI(MHL) port. HDCP is short for 'High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection' and is for video copyright protection."

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Nex
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I get that, but in the previous reply you said the HDMI 1.4 cable won't work, but does, with caveats below.

But anyway, since then, even this port is now doing the 603 error on sky cinema (if I unplug it briefly then plug it back in, error goes away - perhaps for only a short period of time), so I'll wait for the new HDMI cable to arrive from Amazon later today and check what happens with that, and update accordingly. 

Fun times. Perhaps you're right, the xbox one cable isn't up to spec. I will confirm my findings in a few days after testing the new cable.