Menu
merrydown
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Enveloped picture

Hi, I recently bought a Sony Bravia 4k tv. After setting it up most of the channels are perfect. My tv is set to 'automatically adjust the viewable screen area based on the signal'. However, but some of sky cinema films and some old programs on gold such as Dads Army are enveloped.....Black bars top and bottom of screen. 

Any ideas please?

0 Kudos
ozsat
Superstar
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Enveloped picture

These black bars are due to the aspect ratio the TV show or movie was filmed in - if you're seeing them, it means the title was filmed in an aspect ratio that isn't a perfect fit for a widescreen tv.

It is how the film should appear.

You could press ZOOM setting on the tv - but you will loose or distort the picture.

@merrydown wrote:

Hi, I recently bought a Sony Bravia 4k tv. After setting it up most of the channels are perfect. My tv is set to 'automatically adjust the viewable screen area based on the signal'. However, but some of sky cinema films and some old programs on gold such as Dads Army are enveloped.....Black bars top and bottom of screen. 

Any ideas please?

==================================
1.2Gb/55Mb in Area 31
merrydown
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I understand that but I thought your TV compensated for that and automatically filled the screen as my old tv did, without distorting the picture.

Could I need an upgrade to my tv box maybe?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Changing the model of TV box won't make any difference to this scenario.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi you will have to manually adjust the aspect ratio yourself to overcome this, but as ozsat has said it may alter the images and distort the pictures, you will need to try it and see. Regards Micky
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi merrydown,

If you upgraded to the 360 the 4:3 picture handling options are:-

Full mode which enables you to stretch the image, pillar box to display it in the middle, or zoom in to cover the entire screen. 

The effects of this can make Twiggy look like one of the Roly Polys' of Les Dawson fame.

rp.jpg

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules