cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer cut my connection and gave it to neighbour

Madjamjar
Tuning in

Engineer cut my connection and gave it to neighbour but im still in contract and paying.  I wasnt in during the day and an engineer knocked on my door and my son( who has autism) answered the door, the engineer asked him if we had Virgin services, my son replied i dont think so and the virgin engineer said thanks and left.  My son has no clue who i pay for internet and tv.  I get in and he complains theres no internet, i check, everything has gone red no tv or internet.  I do the usual switch on/off etc but nothing, then my neighbour who has had loads of problems knocks to tell me thanks for letting the engineer use my connection as she has had no working virgin services for almost 6 weeks.  I check the outside wall and, yup, its been cut and extended to my neighbour.  I've had enough, i want to cancel, but i cannot get through to cancellations/retentions(on hold 80 minutes).  Im going to try again tomorrow at 8am but i felt like i needed to rant a bit.  

How can a virgin engineer take the word of a young lad and not do due diligence checks on whether a property has an active service. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Madjamjar,

Thanks for your private message and for your patience.

We're pleased you're happy with the resolution offered and we wish you all the best for the future.

If you need anything in the meantime, please pop back here and we'll do all we can to assist you.

Kind regards Jodi. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Madjamjar,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. We do apologise that you cable has been accidently cut and you have been left without a working service.

We would be more than happy to investigate this matter further for you. I will pop you over a private message to take some details from you. Please click on the envelope at the top of the page to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Omadawn
Up to speed

Er no, Jodi, not accidentally cut, but deliberately cut by a VM contractor, no?

Of course right now, the OP is looking at a complete loss of service which the compensation is some £9 per day, (or is it £9 for each of the internet and TV services), plus, of course, whatever the Ombudsman decides is a reasonable extra payment for your contractor failing to exercise due diligence.

This is going to potentially get really costly for VM, really quickly.

Now to @Madjamjar, do not cancel, just report a complete loss of service of both internet and TV, the compensation timer starts when you do so. No doubt you’ll have to jump through the hoops of rebooting this and restarting that, just so they can tick off the pre-scripted response, you might well want to just make stuff up and claim you have, since we all know it’ll make zero difference.

Of course if your neighbour’s connection was to be mysteriously cut, no doubt by some passing yobbos, and VM are getting complaints from two customers, it might concentrate minds.

Thanks for the reply Omadawn, i have called and spoken to 2 different agents of which one was a tech who confirmed no service at all so i assume this is now registered, they transferred me to retentions but after 80 mins no one answered and i had to hang up as i was going out.  In 2 weeks i was giving my 30 days till end of contract notice so would rather they just cancel it from today with no further charges and no more hassle. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Madjamjar wrote:

In 2 weeks i was giving my 30 days till end of contract notice so would rather they just cancel it from today with no further charges and no more hassle. 

If you were to give cancellation notice that expires before your minimum term, you would be liable for early termination charges.

Report the loss of service, the 48working hours grace will run Friday & Monday - and you're eligible for the £9.33 daily payments as of Tuesday, that's assuming (as seems quite possible) you're not given a temp repair by then.

When the time is right to give disconnection notice, that's a separate thing. Loss of service credits are applied as a bill credit once restored, so I would presume that will apply as a bulk credit on your final bill.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Madjamjar,

Thanks for your private message and for your patience.

We're pleased you're happy with the resolution offered and we wish you all the best for the future.

If you need anything in the meantime, please pop back here and we'll do all we can to assist you.

Kind regards Jodi.