Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Does it record over an existing SD episode with a HD when next broadcast?

If I am recording a series and it is set to record HD if possible (and channel: all is selected). But sometimes the episodes are broadcast on an SD channel on day one and then an HD channel on day 2, will it record over the SD with HD? (That is what I would like to happen). 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does it record over an existing SD episode with a HD when next broadcast?

Hi no it will record both, it's up to you which version you watch you can simply delete the one you don't want. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@LittleMick73 wrote:
Hi no it will record both, it's up to you which version you watch you can simply delete the one you don't want. Regards Micky

I'm not so sure about that. TiVo logic is not to record duplicate examples of the same program, and I've got a few "HD if possible" SLs, where sometimes only an SD episode is set to record.

I can't quite fathom out the scheduling logic sometimes, that the box wants to record the first available episode and if that's SD despite a subsequent HD showing being ok... then the "first showing logic" wins. But never does it record duplicates.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I think it should be fairly obvious that it should record whatever is first (HD if both are the same time) but if it records an SD then a later showing is HD then it should overwrite the SD with the HD. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What series is this happening on? It's not the behaviour I've experienced but would like to test it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've noticed that despite both the HD and the SD shows being on at the same time the box chooses whichever has the number furthest up the EPG. E.g. it will do C4 SD on 104 rather than 140 for HD, despite having HD If Available selected.

Another example, Holby City in Scotland is typically on late on Tuesday rather than 8pm like the rest of UK because of River City. I have it set to Any Channel and it usually records from a BBC1 region in the 860s in SD at 8pm. One week a few weeks ago it was on at 8pm in Scotland (a Wednesday because of a late schedule change on Tuesday) and so it did the HD version, for a change, on 101.

Hence why believe the higher up (i.e the lower the number) the guide version of a show is, that version has priority if you only specify HD If Available.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Fast n loud. All channels. HD if available. 

0 Kudos