Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Does anybody at VM have any idea how this hardware connects?

Had a V6 box arrive today, plugged it in to my network, updated but wouldn't verify, phone call time.

When i ordered the box (thursday/friday last week) i was told the boxes don't need their own coax now, they don't run on a separate 10mbps line now, it all comes over the internet, the boxes have got wifi. Ideal. 

Support tell me it needs coax, so i get put through to retention to cancel the order. Retention tell me i was given the wrong info, the 1st box has to be coax'd but a second box can be wifi. I ask how much a second "dumb" box would be, i can put it under the stairs with the modem and ignore it and use the other box on wifi. He says he'll see if theres any way to enable my first box over wifi and i get put on hold.

I find i've been connected to support again, who tell me that they can't enable a box without coax, in fact they can't enable ANY boxes without a coax and they transfer me back to retention.

At one point retention suggest i put the box in a drawer and forget about it in order to keep my bundle price low! Then they offer to only put my bill up by £5/month if i send the V6 box (that i can't connect) back.

Virgin Media, please train your staff on how your hardware actually works, ive spent nearly 3 hours on the phone chasing my tail as i've been given three different versions of how the V6 boxes work!

(Why am i keen to have the box work over wifi? I'm disabled, i don't always make it downstairs, so the chance of having a tv box that could go to another room and plug in appealed to me)

Need a coffee now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Does anybody at VM have any idea how this hardware connects?

Hi how awful, all Virgin TV boxes must have coxial cable connected to function also the hub (broadband) must have a coxial via a spitter, a second box also requires coxial, the WiFi for the 2nd box, and if possible Ethernet from the hub to the main box that supplies services like the programme guide, on demand catch up Netflix YouTube etc, I hope you get someone who knows what they are doing.Regards Micky
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stevieboy118,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been giving some differing information from our teams, and I can appreciate how confusing this would be for you.

@LittleMick73 has explained it well, in that you do definitely need a coax cable connected to be able to use the V6 box. 

I hope this clears it up for you, and if you have any further queries, don't hesitate to ask 🙂

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It's been cleared up now, I've been back onto customer service and i'm now in my 30 day disconnection countdown.

I only called on Thursday/Friday as i found a bill and saw that my loyalty discounts had ended and i'd been paying £14/month more than expected for 5 months, oops!

Can't believe that £47/month is seen as an acceptable charge for an internet connection these days but that's another matter. (i have the weekend phone included but if i try taking it out of the package the cost goes up!)

0 Kudos