Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Do V6 boxes need a forward path attenuator?

I have had a V6 box for a long time with a Superhub 2ac and recently had a new Superhub 3 fitted

The incoming coaxial cable is split with separate feeds going to the Superhub and the V6 box

The Superhub 3 runs in modem mode with the V6 box connected wirelessly to a separate router for any internet access 

The V6 box has a 3dB forward path attenuator fitted between the splitter and the box but the Superhub doesn’t 

I have read on an archived thread that the V6 box doesn’t need an FPA as it uses the modem on the Superhub 3 (not sure how that works unless the signal can go down to the splitter and back up the other cable to the box)

Can someone tell me if this is correct or not, as looking at the state of the FPA I think that this must date back to the original V6 install

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Do V6 boxes need a forward path attenuator?

Is your service working?

If yes, all elements of your installation are correct.

If no, report your problem and Virgin Media will come and fix it which may or may not include removing the attenuator.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes it all seems to be fine, just surprised that the attenuator only appears to be on the V6 box and nothing on the Superhub 3

If the power levels need dropping, I would have thought it would have affected both pieces on equipment not just the V6 box

As I wasn’t at home when the hub was installed I don’t know if the signal levels where checked and deemed okay for the hub, so nothing was added  

Do the Superhub 3 and V6 box have different requirements? I thought the recommended signal levels were generic and not equipment specific

I will check later and see what the levels are to the hub 

Thanks anyway, provided it stays working I shall let it be for now

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Does the V6 have to communicate with the Network?

Yes it does. When you request On Demand or catch up from VMs own content servers (which is most of it) these requests are sent from the V6 directly down the cable, not via the Hub. Authorisation confirmation signals are also exchanged directly via the V6. So yes, there is an upstream connection from V6 boxes.

Usually those close to the street cabinet require these adjustments on one or more pieces of equipment.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The TV boxes and hubs are entirely different pieces of equipment which therefore work differently. The TV signals and broadband are carried on the same cables simultaneously as they are on different frequencies, it's similar to the way that phone calls and broadband are carried simultaneously on telephone wires with other ISPs such as BT, TalkTalk and Sky.

The technician who installed the FPA did so as the signal was too strong for the V6 even though there is signal loss due to the splitter. Unless there is a problem leave it there.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos