Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Do I need a hub to set up my V6 box

I have to set up my V6 box but don’t have a hub as I don’t have broadband. Can I set it up without a hub?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Do I need a hub to set up my V6 box

Hello

To be able to use the V6 fully you also need a active VM broadband connection as the V6 needs this too get the Electronic Program Guide, On Demand, YouTube and any other internet provided services. You can only have a V6 with a VM broadband contract.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi were did you get the V6 from, as it should only be supplied if you have virgin broadband. Regards Micky.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The V6 box and the Hub will be installed by VirginMedia  -  if you have obtained a V6 from somewhere else then it is likely to be stolen.

A V6 box will never working without a VM connection and internet.

@nettles01 wrote:

I have to set up my V6 box but don’t have a hub as I don’t have broadband. Can I set it up without a hub?

==================================
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

This a weakness in the VM ordering system, I've seen it happen when a TiVo is replaced with just a V6.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

From Virgin as they no longer support the original box

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You should have been sent a TiVo but you've got a V6 by mistake. Let VM know about this and you should get the correct box and a return packaging for the V6.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi nettles01,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I have checked things from here and can see that we did indeed send out a Tivo box rather than a V6. However this was still an upgrade from your previous set top box (Non-HD box) as we no longer provide/support these.

The Tivo boxes have their own build in modem and so do not require you to have an active broadband service for them to be able to connect to the internet. So as long as your cabling is all set up correctly, there should be no reason why you don't have internet access.

If you are still having issues with the new box since posting let me know and I can arrange for an engineer to come out and take a look.

Many thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Beth_G 

The OP is saying he has been sent a V6 & not a TiVO. As he doesn’t have VM Broadband he can’t use it. He needs to be sent the correct box.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @nodrogd

All the details we can see advise that a TiVo box was sent - bot a V6 Box. There is no V6 box listed on @nettles01 account

@nettles01 - The Tivo boxes have their own build in modem and so do not require you to have an active broadband service for them to be able to connect to the internet. So as long as your cabling is all set up correctly, there should be no reason why you don't have internet access.

If you are still having issues with the new box since posting let me know and I can arrange for an engineer to come out and install it for you if needed. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos