Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Discovery HD says subscribe to watch show

Can anyone shed any light on this? I’ve rang virgin several times being passed around spent hours on the phone (twice being cut off now) and no one seems to know how to fix it. 

Ive been recording kindig customs and moonshiners like I have done for years. The other day I tried to watch a recorded episode and it says I need to subscribe to the channel. The channel is discovery hd 250.

I have the fun tv package and virgin have confirmed this and confirmed the channel is part of my package. I can watch the channel no problem, it records the programme ok but it says I need to subscribe to watch it back from my recordings.

They thought it was a fault with our box, so they’ve upgraded us to the new v6 box from the old TiVo. We installed this ourselves and everything runs fine. But the problem remains as before. 

Other hd channels I have recorded on are fine. It’s just this channel alone. 

If anyone has any ideas they’d be most welcome, my partner is ready to get rid of virgin but I’d just like to solve it!! 

Thank you in advance. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Discovery HD says subscribe to watch show

You have a combination of issues. Firstly the TiVo & V6 have "bookmarking" functionality - you can create a shortcut to any VOD (On Demand) programme in your "My shows" folder, but this is not a recorded programme - it just behaves like one, by design.

Secondly, there's different types of VOD content. CatchUp programmes are the recently broadcast, generally upto 30ays after being shown - and if you have a channel in your package, then you should have access.

BoxSets are generally, complete and past series, and are only inclusive on Full-House/Maxit/XL packages. I'm going to further guess that your series-link settings for this programme are set for "recordings and streaming videos".

So... your box has found an episode of the programme that is available, your SL is set to include streaming videos, so it's created a shortcut in your "My shows"... except your package doesn't include the box-set that this episode is... hence the "Subscribe to watch" message.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much! 

I think I understand... so basically my other half has recorded some of the episodes (I now notice there is a record symbol at the side of the newest episodes)... but some are older ones...which must be part of a box set and the box has found these due to our settings and automatically added them to my shows? But we can’t watch them because we aren’t on a higher package? 

Is this correct? 

The same will be for moonshiners then, I’ve just looked and these aren’t recorded episodes either! 

So my other half actually needs to go to the show and make sure he records it instead right? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Lolak wrote:

Thank you so much! 

I think I understand... so basically my other half has recorded some of the episodes (I now notice there is a record symbol at the side of the newest episodes)... but some are older ones...which must be part of a box set and the box has found these due to our settings and automatically added them to my shows? But we can’t watch them because we aren’t on a higher package? 

Is this correct? 

Spot on 🙂

@Lolak wrote:

So my other half actually needs to go to the show and make sure he records it instead right? 

If you have an active series link, TiVo will always try to record programmes if they're available - a VOD asset will never override a recording, just the other way around. If a recording subsequently becomes available, then assuming you don't have a tuner clash - the box will record it and replace your bookmark

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it a lot! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Bookmarked shows

Hi i have some shows bookmarked in the ‘my shows and recordings’ section. I thought the purpose of this was to ensure my favourite programmes record so I can watch them but I think I’ve got the wrong end of the stick?? 

One of the shows is moonshiners. 

A new season has just started. Series 9. This is on discovery HD which we are subscribed to. 

But when I go to watch the bookmarked show it tells me to subscribe to the channel. 

This new series is in my bookmarked folder but it doesn’t have a record symbol beside it. When I press to ‘watch now’  it tells me to subscribe to the channel! So I can’t watch it! 

Ive never had this problem before and always been able to watch it. 

So even though things are bookmarked do I still need to actually record them to be able to watch them or do you think there’s a fault? 

Im on the fun package apparently! It’s no fun when you suddenly can’t watch your favourite programmes even when you already get that channel 😔 any help is appreciated, 

thank you kindly. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bookmarked shows

@Lolak 

I can see you've posted elsewhere on the board with what looks the same query - I've moved the post into here to save confusion, if there's anything else you want to ask about bookmarking shows then feel free to ask here 🙂

0 Kudos