Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Deleting programs with over 40% space still left

Hello I'd like to know if this is a fault or a bug that needs fixing please? For well over a year now, every time my TiVo box gets to between 50 and 60% full it starts to delete lots of programs. Please note I have every single recording set to keep until I delete!

It opens up a new folder called soon to be deleted, and sometimes there are dozens of programs set to delete over the coming days. This is despite the box being 1 TB and having between forty and 50% of space free. There's no way that TiVo needs to be deleting any programs.

What I have to do is to go to help/reset TiVo box and then when TiVo has rebooted the folder saying it is going to delete lots of my programs has disappeared. This to me implies there is some sort of bug?

It is very annoying and inconvenient as it takes several minutes to reboot. Up to now I have to completely reset the TiVo box on a regular basis.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Deleting programs with over 40% space still left

The box tries to look ahead at the upcoming planned recordings and make sure there will be space for them and so identifies recordings that will be deleted when the new recording(s) need to be made - but of course it doesn't know what else you may delete in the meantime, in which case it won't need to free up space and so won't need to auto-delete anything.

The "soon to be deleted" stuff doesn't actually mean it will definitely be deleted - that said it is better to not have everything as "Keep until I delete" (KUID) as it leaves the box nowhere to go if it thinks it's going to need space and can end up making it more confused.

If there's stuff you regularly record, watch and delete on a weekly basis then it'd probably be best to not have those as KIUD.

That said, being at 40/50% full and it planning to delete is a bit unnecessary, unless there's a lot of big recordings in the planned list.

Keith

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Keith. I agree with your speculation as to what might lie behind this behaviour. But there are two things for me that indicate that this behaviour can't possibly be normal or desirable behaviour. Firstly I am currently 55% full, and there is a list of 14 programs that TiVo says it is definitely going to delete within the next 3 to 5 days. I would say it is impossible for me to have anywhere near enough intended recordings set up in the next several days that could even remotely fill 40% of 1 TB. Not even over the next several weeks. So I can confidently say that it is completely wrong if it has come to such an assumption. Now if it has worked out that all of my future recordings over the next several months would pose a threat then I can see it might think we are going to run out of space, but that would be very poor programming indeed. 

Sometimes I might be at say 61% full and I delete several films and several folders, and it still only drops down to about 60 or maybe 59%. The amount of hours of future recording that would fill 40% of 1 TB is absolutely enormous. Therefore I believe it is impossible for a correctly programmed and configured software to believe it necessary to start deleting programs.

Secondly if it is due to the TiVo box genuinely being concerned about having enough space, the fact that it completely loses all of that concern and returns to normal for some weeks when the TiVo box is reset shows it must be something else. Does fragmentation come into it somehow I wonder? So surely this has to be a bug of some sort or very poor programming logic.

And finally, if a user sets all recordings to keep until they delete them I expect Tivo to honour that. Tivo has no business making arbitrary decisions about what is more important - existing recordings or future recordings. This behaviour is very frustrating because not only does it threaten to delete programs completely unnecessarily but it also deletes valued pre existing programs I have not watched yet or loved so much I decided to keep them when I have specifically selected Keep until I delete. 

Andy 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked the "Keep at most" settting on your series links?

I work for Virgin Media but all opinions are my own
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your suggestion. I have all my recordings and series links set to keep until I delete and to Keep at most "Everything". They all have the small padlock icon. However, I have found that those scheduled for an ignominious delete did not have the padlock and everything was set as "until space needed". This is a great surprise to me because I set all the settings a long time ago and some of these series recordings are for relatively new programmes. It feels almost as if Tivo has changed them to suit it's desire to delete. 

I have just gone through the several series links and changed all recorded programmes in the folders to keep until I delete and changed the actual series link settings to keep always. How these series have different settings to my default settings is a mystery so I will keep an eye on things. However, this still doesn't explain why Tivo thinks that half a Tb of space is not enough for my recordings over the next several days even though I'd have to record like a maniac to even remotely trouble the hard drive

And it doesn't explain also why when I reboot Tivo it forgets all about deleting any programmes that it didn't need to delete in the first place 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

BTW Keith and NPP, thanks for your answers, and no offence but I have unselected the, "helpful answer" that I'd previously marked on both your replies. They were genuinely helpful thanks. It's just that I am not following how this forum works because it seems that when you select that an answer has been helpful the virgin media community marks the topic as, "answered", which to me implies very strongly that the problem has been solved and is likely to discourage others from contributing because it's already been answered? It's a very strange system 🙂 I can even mark my own replies as "helpful" which makes no sense at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi XyZed,

if you've found the post useful/helpful, rather than providing the solution you want then you can give the poster kudos by clicking on the thumbs up icon

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks. Unfortunately the option to mark a reply as helpful as very misleading if it is then represented as if it has been answered. I've been using forums since the early 1990s and I've never come across anything like that. Anyway kudos to you 🙂

0 Kudos