Menu
Mutley65
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

DNS Causing Issue with Sky Cinema

Hi.

I run a local DNS server but it it blocking access to Sky Cinema on demand movies on my TV6 box. Because I can’t set custom network settings on the TV6 box I am unable to track what url the TV6 box can’t reach to make sure it’s not blocked on my DNS server. The work around would be to set the DNS address on the TV6 box to bypass my local DNS but the settings in the TV6 box doesn’t allow this.

Can anyone help me identify the url, or urls I need to unblock?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: DNS Causing Issue with Sky Cinema

The V6 needs to connect over a Virgin Media broadband connection, and you should be using VM's DNS servers too.

While some people may have managed to get a V6 working over non-VM DNS, it certainly isn't supported.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Mutley65
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If I set the DNS on my router to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 it works.

I use a local DNS so I can block harmful web addresses that public DNS servers do not block.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

then check your dns server logs and see what its blocking. or exclude any blocking form the v6 box
0 Kudos
Mutley65
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I found the URL that was being blocked, it’s 

http://pr-adrtr-vod.dtv.virginmedia.com/

I have whitelisted this URL and it’s now working.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

good find 🙂
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

An excellent find indeed. Fancy troubleshooting my long-standing blocked ports issue that's (functionally) very minor, but (annoyingly) borderline impossible thus far to work out 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Mutley65
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

What is your blocked port issue? What equipment is involved?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Not to worry - I was jesting a little.

I use my VM Superhub in modem mode, and my V6 has never had channel logos for recorded programmes. The logos are present in every other screen, for VOD, the EPG, info banner, the lot. EPG toggled between text & graphics, you name it...

Connect the V6 to the VM hub directly and whoosh... loop my router back in, nope. I use Ethernet but WiFi has also been attempted. I've got a pretty good list of which ports are being used and got them all forwarded "incase" - so there's evidently an obscure port being blocked somewhere but I've never had any success locating it.

It's just a minor cosmetic issue, so "nae bother" in the grand scheme. I'd far sooner use my own router and forego the logos, than the alternative 🙂

0 Kudos
Mutley65
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have the same setup and don’t have them either. I would say it’s an issue on VM’s end rather than a router issue. They are probably validating the hardware making the call and it doesn’t validate.

On another note, close those ports on your router they are not needed and leave a door wide open for an attacker to get in.

The DSN I have running is pihole, the filters I have running on there block over 30% of our web traffic, that is how much organisations are spying on you. So far I have to fix only 2 URL’s that were blocked that we needed. For the rest of our Internet usage we see no difference apart from blocked ads.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos