cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critical Error

GlennP1
Joining in

Hello

I got a critical error on my v6 box. It was a few weeks ago now. 

It said it could take upto 4 hours to reboot or something similar, I don't know how long it took I went to bed. 

The following morning all looks OK back to normal. 

My problem is I can't play recordings from that box to the other box, but I can the other way around.

Can anyone help, have any ideas 

Thanks

Glenn

11 REPLIES 11

roy247
Community elder

Try reconnecting to the network by going to Home > Help and Settings > Settings > Network > Connect to the Virgin Media service now.

I used to have to do this with V6 boxes, sometimes with both before they connected properly with each other, it might take a couple of attempts.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GlennP1 wrote:

Hello

I got a critical error on my v6 box. It was a few weeks ago now.

My problem is I can't play recordings from that box to the other box, but I can the other way around

What happens when you try to view recordings? Do you get any error code/message, and if so - what is it?

Was the error message "DVR has detected an error"?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi GlennP1, thanks for joining our help forums and for your first post. A warm welcome to the VM community. 🙂

We're sorry to hear of this error coming up to your V6 box recently, we'd love to best support you with this.

Could you please tell us how things look since you've posted back on Wednesday and if the issue persists?
Has any of the advice provided by our forum members above helped with this?

Can you also tell us if there is an error code or message displayed on your screen when trying to play a recording on this V6 box?

Let us know where we are and if you need more help, glad to assist where needed.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello

I was fed up of trying to signing in and out, changing network settings etc, running up and down stairs. In the end I just left it. All of a sudden started working. Took about 2 weeks after the critical error

Another critical error on the same box, was forced to stop watching my programme last night, as it tried to recover itself, I turned my TV off and went to sleep.

Checked it this morning and its working, but not completely, I now again can't watch any recordings from this box from my other box.

Getting fed up with this now. I'm guessing I need a new box, 

It's hard wired to hub and other box so should work seamlessly but nope. 

Is there anyone here that works for VM that could sort this, I don't really want to talk to the programmed robots, they wind me up.

Thanks in advance, 

It keeps crashing now. 😪 

Hi @GlennP1 

Thanks for coming back to the thread. Sorry to hear of this. No one is a planned robot so lets not say they are please.

Can you do a reset for me on the box to see if this fixes it? This will restore the box to factory default settings and mean all recordings are wiped.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@John_GS wrote:

Hi @GlennP1 

Can you do a reset for me on the box to see if this fixes it? This will restore the box to factory default settings and mean all recordings are wiped.

Just don't use the "Clear programme info & planned recordings" option - there is a known issue with this...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Known-Issue-Clear-and-Reset-Function-V6/td-p/51613... 

@John_GS 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

GlennP1
Joining in

I can not do a reset, from the menu, as it will not load that far, 

I get the green screen, then when it reboots, I get the welcome screen in different languages, then green screens again, constant loop.

I've got an engineer coming on Saturday to sort this. I reckon a new box is required.

I'll be out the services for over a week which I'm not happy about.