Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Connection to Virgin Media Service through any ISP?

Hi, I've recently called to cancel my services, and have given my 30 days notice due to various reasons. I've already had new broadband put in place by a new provider (unlimited mobile broadband). And Sky are coming to install their box this time next week.

In the meantime I thought I could connect my two V6 boxes to the new ISPs router (one via ethernet one via wifi). The V6 boxes ARE connected and networked (they have been assigned IP addresses, and are able to watch recordings from one room in another so are indeed connected) and both are being provided an active internet connection, and yet since I unplugged and boxed up the super hub to return to VM, neither box has been able to connect to the Virgin Media Service, and I'm not able to use apps on either box. 

I can't understand this as I'm assuming some people have TV without broadband from VM, and just because it's a different provider, both boxes ARE being provided an internet connection. 

Or am I completely wrong and although I've given 30 days notice, my services are degraded straight away at the end of the phone call? I have spoken to someone on live chat, but he wanted to run tests but this had to be done via the super hub, which is already in the boxed up. By the way, the tuners, recordings and everything work fine, however guide info won't be updated (I assume with no connection to the service) and I can't watch Netflix on my boxes now.

Great way to end a solid 10 year relationship!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connection to Virgin Media Service through any ISP?

The v6 only works via a virgin media broadband connection for apps etc

Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Reconnect the hub so that you can use the V6s until the end of your contract.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I can still use them for watching live TV and recordings. I can even watch recordings on another box upstairs, yet I can’t use any of the catch up services or Netflix. Really baffling considering these services aren’t actually provided by VM but just hosted by them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@TheRazzaG wrote:

I can still use them for watching live TV and recordings. I can even watch recordings on another box upstairs, yet I can’t use any of the catch up services or Netflix. Really baffling considering these services aren’t actually provided by VM but just hosted by them.

Its really not baffling.

All the services you CAN use are delivered by the coax or your LAN. Netflix and EPG's etc are delivered over a VM WAN. Your VM WAN is in a box........

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My smart TV is LG but I don't have to have LG internet to watch Netflix on it.

My cable box is made by Virgin Media but I also have to have Virgin broadband to watch Netflix on it.

That's what's troubling me and you're rude, thanks. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That's because LG don't provide internet services.

It's simple really, VM don't want you using 3rd party providers as they have no control over that service. They don't want people calling to say X isn't working because the other broadband isn't good enough or has gone down.

By ensuring that customers with a V6 can only use VM broadband they are trying to ensure a quality of service.