Menu
chrspnny
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Connecting two Tivo 6 boxes

Recently acquired a second Tivo6 box.

When the engineer installed it he connected the two boxes via the (powerline) wifi extender nearest the new box, & whilst he was present it appeared to talk to the old box & even played a short clip from a programme stored on it.

He did point out that the wifi signal to the old box was rather tenuous &, in fact, we have never managed to get it working.

So we have reconfigured network arrangements in the house & now both boxes are “hard” connected via powerlines. Both boxes know they are Ethernet connected (in the network settings), both boxes seem to “see” the other box (show a serial number) but they still refuse to actually connect to each other, either way.

All I can see on Virgin help suggests that just hard connecting the boxes together is all that is needed, so what am I missing? Did the engineer flip a setting somewhere that needs to be reset? If so where & what?

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting two Tivo 6 boxes

Acquired? Like legit from Virgin? 

0 Kudos
chrspnny
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yep. Totally legit.

Poor use of language!

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

They both need to connect to the hub, have you set up 3 powerlines? If so if you go to help page on the main menu and then at the top try a speed test. While it's doing the test if you press play it will show the actual speed. 

0 Kudos
chrspnny
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Does that test the speed of the network or the speed of the co-ax feed into the Tivo box?

The new box maxed at 16Mbps, averaged about  13 & reported that it was slightly slow & may not be enough for high resolution! Haven’t tried the older box as wife is currently watching live TV.

Both Tivos have co-ax connection and the powerline connections. The powerlines are TP-Link

Our Hub3 is in the front bedroom and is connected by cable to the initial powerline on the other socket from the power to the Hub. All the powerline adaptors have worked previously.

Tivo 1 is the living room below. The powerline to it was previously connected  - & worked - directly to the TV so that Netflix etc. were straight off the TV with no problems.

Tivo 2 is in the dining room at the back of the house where there is also the powerline wifi extender (which as mentioned the engineer originally used). Just tested that with my phone & it’s giving reasonable wifi of internet info. So is connecting to the Hub.

The Hub3 also reports that it knows the two Tivo boxes are present and, as I said last night, both boxes know the other is there. But they refuse to connect to each other - either way.

Both Tivo boxes report ports 80,7287,7288,8080, &8081 shut, but as I’m not sure of the security implications of opening them (even if it were the reason) I am reluctant to do that.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

13 isn't fast enough for multiroom streaming, this test, tests the speed of your powerlines. You might need better powerlines or another method of getting a decent connection to your v6s

0 Kudos
chrspnny
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Not the news I wanted to hear, but thanks!

0 Kudos