Menu
Storming55
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Connecting multiroom v6 box

Hello, have recently moved and took two virgin v6 boxes with us. Engineer connected the box in the living room. All working no problems. The multiroom box was not connected at the time. He ran a cable through the loft and down into the back bedroom. Whilst he was doing this he set up the 2nd box in the living room. He then left saying all we had to do was connect the upstairs box to the cable, connect the box to the second tv by hdmi cable and all should be well. Well all I get on the tv is “no signal”! I know the box upstairs is working because I can watch everything stored on it’s hard drive through my downstairs box. It seems that something else is required here? I am not technically minded so keep any suggestions as simple as possible please. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting multiroom v6 box

So all VM boxes need 2 connections, one coax for the TV signals, and (in the case of V6) the WiFi/Ethernet to your homehub for all the internet based stuff. That's onDemand, streaming, EPG updates & multiroom streaming.

If both connections aren't present during the boot cycle, the box will complain in some manner.

You've mentioned "no signal" - if this was as an error generated by your V6, it should have an error code associated with it. If it doesn't, it may well be your TV complaining of "no signal on the selected input" - do you have the correct HDMI selected?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No Signal will be a message from your TV, saying that the Source it is connected to is not providing a signal.

This likely means you have not selected the HDMI Source that the Virgin Media box is connected to.

Using the TV’s remote, check you are connected to the correct Source.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Storming55
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes the “no signal” message refers to the television not receiving a signal from the box. I have selected the right hdmi connection. Is the WiFi signal from the downstairs box automatically sent? Is there anyway I can check this? Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

WiFi only provides the connection between the V6 and your homehub. Nothing to do with your TV. Refer to my post 2 above, for an explanation of the different connections.

If the connection isn't present, the box won't have an internet connection, that's all. If you said you can view the contents of the box's hard drive on your other box, then that's being done over the hub connection - so on that basis, the WiFi isn't the issue.

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Given you said earlier that you were able to stream recordings from the second box onto the TV connected to the first, the router/internet/WiFi connection must be in place and of good quality.

0 Kudos
Storming55
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So it must simply be a faulty hdmi connection between the box and the tv? I’ll try the cable in different hdmi sockets and also try a different cable. If that doesn’t work I’ll try another tv! 

0 Kudos