Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Connecting a WiFi keyboard to a V6

I used to be able to operate my Virgin box via a WiFi keyboard (searching YouTube, change channels etc) this was on a tivo box but mainly used the remote, as the keyboard went back upstairs.  Now on trying the keyboard on the V6 box nothing .  Am I being naive thinking it will 'just work' and I have to input a series of button pushes to pair the two together or am I on a 'hiding to nowt' as the V6 will not accept a WiFi keyboard . Tried searching but basically all I got was lots of answers about connecting the V6 box to a wireless network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connecting a WiFi keyboard to a V6

No, you cannot use a WiFi keyboard on a V6.

You can control a lot of functions on the V6 with the TV Control app, so you could possibly use the "keyboard" on a smartphone or tablet for this purpose.

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

After all my searching and looking about your first ten words were all the info I needed.
Cheers !

Aside:-
Bit of a, typical, boomer so don't have a smart phone (well I do but it's the eldest's cast-of and lives in the car ) so will have to 'make-do' with the remote.
Not so bad for channel hopping, volume up/down that sort of thing but searching Youtube is a bit of a 'mare, what with having to input one lletter at a time..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I believe you can connect a USB keyboard, either wired or wireless by just plugging it into the USB port on the V6. Used to use a Logitech wireless keyboard with the old TiVo box so I would assume the same would work with the V6.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Tavis75 wrote:

I believe you can connect a USB keyboard, either wired or wireless by just plugging it into the USB port on the V6. Used to use a Logitech wireless keyboard with the old TiVo box so I would assume the same would work with the V6.

Used to use a keyboard (now and again ) on the old TiVo box, seems the V6 is completely different .

May steal a go on youngest's phone and try the TV control ap.

I am not that bothered tend to watch Youtube on the monitor.  It is more my youngest ( 24 but still the baby to me) wanted to see it on the big screen (and inputing is a bit of a faff with the standard remote)..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Tavis75 wrote:

Nope!

I have tried it. The USB on the V6 only provides the basic 5V output. It serves no other purpose at this time.

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My suspicion for quite some time is that the USB port will enable USB Recording in a future upgrade, but I'm not holding my breath.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos