Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Connecting V6 to wifi

Hi,

I have been a customer for several years and always had TV box connected directly to VM wall socket. Just moved house and that is not possible due to location of port. I am trying to connect hub to V6 by WiFi. V6 says my connection is excellent, speed is 100mb and that it is sufficient for TV.

Currently have a power cable into the V6 and a hdmi from V6 to TV. That is all JustI have connected to the V6. I waited 30 mins for an answer on VM phone call. The guy insisted that I must connect my box to the coax cable in order to use wi-fi. I can not possibly connect V6 box to the virgin media cable without disconnecting it from my TV. 

The guy ended up mysteriously disconnecting the call....not convinced that was an accident. Do I really need to have other cables connected. In order to watch via WiFi. I thought I could just connect via WiFi in the same way I can watch Netflix on PS4 without a physical connection?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connecting V6 to wifi

The V6 must be connected by coax cable to VM's network and to the hub either by ethernet cable or WiFi.

No connection to the coax, no TV.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Disappointing, but thanks. I see they do some sort of power line adaptor. Really need to have hub downstairs and TV upstairs. May check with them if that might be a solution. 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you can connect the V6 to the hub by ethernet, wifi or powerline. but all boxes MUST have a coax cable to the VM network. They can not work without the coax.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Seems like the need to connect the V6 to the VM connection by wire makes the V6 wireless capability entirely pointless, unless I am missing something. Thanks for your help though. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

you are missing something.

the network connection is not used for program delivery its only used for EPG update, Account auth, and on-demand. All the channels are still delivered down the coax ax they have always been.

The v6 box is not wireless. it has wireless as a network method for the internet connection it never has and never will be a wireless box

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@arnoldlayne wrote:

Seems like the need to connect the V6 to the VM connection by wire makes the V6 wireless capability entirely pointless, unless I am missing something. Thanks for your help though. 

You are very much missing something. Linear channels. Virgin is not IPTV. You can’t use a Freeview TV without an antenna, a Satellite box without a Satellite dish or a Cable TV box without the cable down which the channels are directly delivered. All these methods use radio frequency, not the internet. The internet only delivers the app content, EPG & updates.

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Oh ok, the WiFi connection is useful for loading a guide to channels, but not actually viewing channels. I see now how I was wrong to suggest it was a pointless feature. 

0 Kudos