Menu
Sharkymatt
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Connecting TiVo 6 box to bt whole home wifi

Recently got a bt whole home wifi to improve the WiFi signal around the house as there were a few dead spots around the house, mainly the kitchen where the V6 TiVo box is situated. The issue I'm having now is connecting the V6 TiVo box to the wireless. When setting up the connection on the TiVo box the new bt WiFi mesh shows up but when I try to connect it fails. When checking the signal strength the TiVo box is constantly trying to connect to the bt disc which is conected to the virgin router and shows 6% signal strength rather than connect to the closest WiFi disc. How can I prevent this and get my TiVo box connected to the WiFi 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting TiVo 6 box to bt whole home wifi

Never used the BT discs - but does each one have a different SSID that you can see as being separate in "available networks" - say on your phone?

If so, you go into the network settings on the V6 and there is an option to select the wifi network you want to connect to - so choose that one and put the password in and it will connect.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Sharkymatt
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There are 3 discs in total that show as a single SSID as it's a mesh system. The network works fine for everything around the house perfect coverage everywhere. But it's just the V6 TiVo box that had the issue of not connecting . It shows up in the available networks but once you enter the password and try to connect it won't 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Did you switch off the Hub's wifi? If not, is the V6 trying to connect to that Hub's distant signal?

Or is the nearest BT disc perhaps still too far away? Or perhaps it's not switched on or not sending out the signal for some reason? Tried swapping them around ?

Do the BT discs have a different SSID and password to that of the Hub?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Sharkymatt
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've tried the hub in router mode but that hasn't solved the problem. It's also situated in a bedroom upstairs in the house and the signal doesn't reach the area where the V6 box is, hence the reason for the bt whole home wifi.

All the discs have the same ssid and password which are different from the virgin hub. The closest disc to the V6 box is in the same room and using my phone to check signal strength I have 95% signal strength.

It's incredibly frustrating as the TiVo box will not show any channel listings right now without being connected to wifi and all on demand services won't work.

0 Kudos
keithse
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The V6 has to be used with a Virgin broadband connection (via WiFi or Ethernet) - it cant be connected to another provider's internet.

Virgin do provide boosters to customers who have poor WiFi in certain areas of the house - if I remember correctly you can use the "Virgin Media Connect" app on your phone/tablet to run a scan in different rooms in the house and when it sees poor connectivity it gives you an option to order a booster (although I've never used that functionality so I may be remembering it completely wrong!)

When a VM rep gets to this thread they may also be able to offer a booster or other options of help.

Keith

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sharkymatt
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It is connected to a Virgin media broadband connection. The bt whole home wifi is just a WiFi mesh system. Rather than using a booster where the speeds decrease and each booster is a separate network .

0 Kudos