Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Code for TV5 Monde and BBC 4 SD

When I try to watch old recordings from TV5 Monde and BBC 4 standard definition I need to enter a code as the channel is no longer available. 

Why can't I watch old programmes I've recorded anyway? What code can I use as I have a lot of old recordings.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Code for TV5 Monde and BBC 4 SD

@Mikedbrad wrote:

When I try to watch old recordings from TV5 Monde and BBC 4 standard definition I need to enter a code as the channel is no longer available. 

Why can't I watch old programmes I've recorded anyway? What code can I use as I have a lot of old recordings.

These channels are no longer available. The recordings remain viewable, for up to a year in most cases to allow you to watch them, then the permission is removed. This is due to contractual agreements with the broadcasters. You have no option but to delete them.

Recordings on Virgin equipment is permitted for time shifting purposes only. Recordings are not meant to be kept as an archive.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info, I thought as much. So there is no code that will work?

I can understand the TV5Monde reason, but BBC4 is still available in HD.

It would have been good to know we had a year to watch the recordings when a channel is removed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No, there is no code that will work - those recordings are irretrieavably gone.

In the vast majority of cases, recordings you make won't have an expiry time, but about a year or so back there were changes made to BBC4, meaning the SD-version was taken off-air. That meant BBC4-SD recordings had a time limit imposed, which was discussed at great length on here both at the time and when the supporting EPG data was removed a year or so later.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As I say, the broadcasters make the rules. With most it is a year, however Sky insist that all recordings are made not viewable the day a service is withdrawn or you stop subscribing to it.

As per VMs T&Cs, recording equipment is provided “to allow programmes to be viewed at a more convenient time”. This applies to all the channels carried, be they Public Service Broadcasters like the BBC, or subscription services like Sky. Giving you a year to view something you have recorded is quite generous.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos