Menu
darandall
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Coaxial cable

I know there are a few threads on this topic but none quite cover my exact requirements.

When my router was originally installed by the technician it was cabled very close to where the service comes into the house (with an approx 1.5m cable). All I want to do is position it more neatly and in a slightly better position for full house coverage. I reckon I would need a 3m cable to do this.

Is it genuinely the case that this would be £99 to get a technician to do? I'm absolutely astounded if so and obviously wouldn't bother doing it!

Many thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Coaxial cable

Hi I'm afraid it is the case (£99) to move or alter equipment as this is a non fault issue, it is not just a case of putting in new cable as the signal levels will be affected so the engineer will go between your box and the street cabinet, you have to factor in the cost of an engineers time and travel, its the same if you engage a plumber or any tradesman. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
darandall
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yep I'm aware of the need to potentially make adjustments for signal to noise etc. I think even taking that into account feels completely insane as you'd expect some degree of support like this to be included in a contract (especially when the install job was done so poorly in the first place - the guy didn't even clean up and there was drill dust everywhere and the external box was hanging off the wall; anyway that's a separate issue).

I guess I won't bother moving it then! Definitely not worth the money just to make the cabling look neat

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I believe it is very unlikely that an extra 1.5m of cable would need any adjustments. The problem with Virgin Media adopting this attitude is it encourages some wholly irresponsible people to buy the best possible quality satellite grade cable and use that. Satellite cable has less screening than Virgin Media cable and there is a small risk of interference (noise) being injected into the system. This would then force the offending toe rag to put back the Virgin Media cable. There is also of course a very small possibility that the injected interference is so high that it affects their neighbours service without the offender noticing the deterioration of their own service. This could then result in Virgin Media cutting off service when they are allowed entry and find the nonstandard cable.

This despicable behaviour could be avoided if Virgin Media were to supply their own moderate lengths of cable. I would have thought that if someone can be trusted to self install a hub and or a V6, they ought to be able to replace a cable for one that does not increase or decrease length by more than a couple of meters.

To be absolutely clear, I would not encourage or condone any unauthorised modification of an installation, just saying I think it could be in Virgin Media’s best interest to offer an alternative to a £99 visit for such minor works.

0 Kudos
darandall
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Agreed! Although it's probably the case that not everyone that does this with off-the-shelf cables are being irresponsible. They're probably just being naïve. I only really discovered that this was a potential issue because I like to shop around for the best product and so found a load of threads discussing the matter. 

Obviously it will be in the contract terms and conditions but I think most people probably wouldn't think twice about screwing in a cheap bit of satellite cable, especially if they've previously only ever used broadband using the Openreach network with normal telephone cables.

As you say, would just be nice if the original technician left a few bits of short cable for slightly varying the router position (e.g. placing it on a different shelf or something).

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

20 years ago, back in the ntl days, things were more flexible. My neighbour and I were given a real of cable to preinstall in our new builds and the technician, who did the final termination and install, left a couple of additional terminated cable lengths to allow small variations in furniture positioning. Never caused a problem in either property.

I am sure there a plenty of bits of satellite cable out there causing no problems at all, but it would be better if Virgin Media had sold them an even better cable.

0 Kudos