Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Charges on Tivo Apps

To my surprise on my bill I had a charge of £3.99 for an app. Turns out that this app is on the Tivo box under all apps. It is Andreia Brazier Get Fit Today. Turns out that my wife clicked on it, but at no point did it warn that the use of this app would incur a fee. Is there any way to block or remove these apps?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Charges on Tivo Apps

Sorry to hear this darrengg,

You can, of course, alter purchase controls for your equipment.

You can extend the PIN to control some purchases such as movies:

1. Press Home on your remote
  2. Select Help & Settings
  3. Choose Purchase Controls
  4. Enter your PIN
  5. Choose Require a PIN to purchase or Allow purchases without a PIN

Hope this helps,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I recently had the exact same charge applied on my bill and at no point did the application even ask for Pin entry despite the Tivo box set to require a pin for purchases. Also, no record of any chargeable purchases within the Tivo box itself or within this Andrea Brazier application. Sounds like the application makes charges without notification. Virgin allegedly cannot help as its a 3rd party application that THEY have taken payment for and the fact that no records show in the box itself is because the box only holds purchases for 48 hours?? Can someone clarify thios as it sounds like daylight robbery ...

Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi dipzzy,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this.

I've checked the app on our office TiVo® and the app does notify your of the price. Within the app are a number of courses. Under each course it says 'Buy Now for £3.99' Or 'Try this course'.

The app will only charge you if you select the Buy option then enter your 4 digit PIN.

Hope this helps

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi everyone

I have noticed this line on my bill - Game - Andreia Brazier - £3.99

Apparently this is a fitness game, (which I looked it up on Google), and neither me or my wife have clicked and selected to purchase it.  I am coming to the belief that someone is tampering with the customer accounts and making a quick buck. Which begs the question if virgin accounts are being hacked. This is quite serious and could cause the shutting down of Virgin Media Services until it is fixed. 

I have raised a complaint with Virgin customer services (they gave me a complaint reference number, but insisted that they will not address and communicate back to me .... what is the point of such a complaint ... I ask).

The customer services  were adamant that this cannot be refunded, and refused to pass me to a supervisor and then cut me off. This is very bad service.

I wonder what else can I do?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Delvadin, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

Whenever there is a charge on the bill, it means someone has purchased the content using the remote control. Depending on the content, you may also be asked to enter in the PIN. 

Is there any way this could of been done accidentally? Maybe someone else has stayed and ordered it?

This isn't a result of being hacked. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kath

It was worth complaining, as the issue is now been sorted by Virgin, & a refund issued. Virgin confirmed that there was no hackers involved, fortunately. (there is no 100% confirmation of this).

As to someone else controlling our remote control while visiting us, this never happened, so the question still in our mind remains open.

We are very careful using the remote control, and we have never purchased any so called content for Andrea Brazier or anyone else.

The remote control is only used to change channels, play recorded Freeview TV programs. So the use is classic use of the remote. 

Again thank you for taking the time to reply.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I too have been charged £3.99 for "Game - Andreia Brazier" in April as a result of simply looking through the APPS on my box. At no time did I buy or play this game, in fact I did not know it was a game. I was not prompted for a PIN. I have checked both my boxes and both are set to "Require a PIN to purchase". This really needs further investigation by Virgin Media given the other comments here. I called to query the charge and have been promised a refund.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hello davidbalerno, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our Virgin Media Community. 

Apologies for the charge that incurred on your account after you were browsing our apps. 

I can see that we have credited back the charge back already. 

If you need anything else, just pop back on here. 

Regards 

Gareth_L 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Guess what I had a new TIVO box fitted on 28th August 2018 and when showing my wife the difference in speed etc etc we went into app/games to see what they were.On the old box which we had for years we never subscribed to apps/games. Like others we just picked one at random which was Andre Brazier app/game and we never saw anything to say we would have to pay like the old box did (I.e. DO YOU WISH TO SUBSCRIBE etc  All we saw was a request for PIN and has this was the first time we had used the TIVO box I assumed thats why it needed the PIN We only left it on for about 30 to 40 seconds and then switched off. Now we have a notification to say we are being charged £3.99p !!!

What with not now having a SCART connection on new box resulting in loss of facilities to pipe programmes to my other TVs in my home and also am already having problems with the remote freezing for some reason  I wish I had my old box back already!!!! 

0 Kudos