Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Channels disappearing from favourites list

Hi, about 2 weeks ago I noticed 2 channels on my favourites list, Eurosport 1 and ITV 4, disappeared. I put them back, but then today 2 more have gone, Eurosport 2 and Dave. Anyone know know why this is happening?

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Channels disappearing from favourites list

I'm having the same issue. I keep putting them back, but then others disappear. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin perform internal houskeeping, making changes in the background by  moving channels around on what I believe are termed transport streams or muxes to make more efficient use of space.

If you think of Freeview, the channels there are on what are termed Muxes.  There has been lots of channels moving about in the background, some changing muxes and some changing channel numbers. Most of that is to do with the spectrum needed for 5G and they have recenttly been changing  mux 7 and 8 due to this. This has meant some people losing channels and/or having to update their channel lists.

.When Virgin move the channels to different transport streams (muxes) the Favourites affected don't point to the same internal network marker, so series links may not work, or channels may disappear from your favourites. Therefore  you need to add the channels to your favourites again.

I hope that made some sort of sense. It's a shame these moves don't always update automatically on the boxes.

If you scroll down on this page https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?liste=2&live=209&lang=en

and look at the sections marked C065 and C066 you will see the most recent background changes, marked New in yellow.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, makes perfect sense!

Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Phew  rofl.gif

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. The channels in that most recent list were exactly the ones that I had to re-add to my favourites. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hopefully that will be fixed when Virgin switch to the new Horizon software. Virgin will be making lots of changes when it's introduced. It was supposed to be in late 2020, however with the Covid epidemic it may have been pushed back.

About the Horizon platform
‘Horizon 4 RDK’ is the next generation Liberty Global TV platform being implemented for Virgin Media and across other Liberty territories. Once in place, it is intended that all new TV deployments will be on this platform. ‘Horizon’ is being designed to allow us to roll out updates on a regular basis, enabling Virgin Media to respond to customer needs and market changes in a much more agile way.

Dave

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to newapollo’s response.

As the channel IDs do not change any planned recordings & series links should not be affected for these channels, as the box searches for them every time the EPG is updated.

Favourites on the other hand do not have a search or update function, so when a channel moves transport stream, because no search is performed the channel can’t be found.

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Freeview do at least have a web page for communicating upcoming changes. Virgin only do it sometimes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@unisoft wrote:

Freeview do at least have a web page for communicating upcoming changes. Virgin only do it sometimes.

Freeview do this as the majority of boxes & TVs require a complete manually performed retune to restore channels that have moved transport streams. Virgin/Sky & Freesat boxes do this automatically.

Not sure about Sky, but I also have a Freesat box, & this also loses Favourites if their transport stream is changed.

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos