Menu
mbozaritchie
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Catch Up/On Demand Not Working

In short, VM have changed something that has effectively broken catch up/on demand on my V6 box.

For months, it worked.. and worked well, no issues at all.  Then very recently, I started getting failures when trying to access any catch up or on demand services.

Eventually, the following message appears...WhatsApp Image 2020-10-16 at 13.45.31.jpeg

My V6 box does indeed connect to the TV via a soundbar, however that has been the case for months prior to this error occurring.  VM have clearly made a change to the V6 software that no longer permits this.  My question is "Why"?

My setup is as follows:   V6 box connects into my LG SK10Y soundbar into HDMI 2.  The soundbar is connected into my LG C9 OLED TV in HDMI 2 which is also the ARC channel.  This is necessary to allow apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime to push the audio back to the soundbar.  The soundbar has a second input which I have a 4K BluRay player connected to (HDMI 1).  The soundbar is 4K passthrough capable so no issues there and the cables are all verified HDMI 2.0b standard and present no issues.

I have tried the "clear and reset" on the V6 box with no luck.

Why would this be an issue only with Catch Up/On Demand and not the live broadcasts?  Why would connecting a TV via a soundbar cause such an issue?

If VM insist that I start ripping out cables and connect my hardware together in a manner that they see fit, then I'm afraid they'll be losing a customer.

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Catch Up/On Demand Not Working

There is a bug I've noticed with LG tvs on catchup apparently not complying with hdcp copyright.  Only way I managed to fix it was to change the video output on v6 box to 1080p

0 Kudos
mbozaritchie
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the heads up. 

Its pretty lame having to drop the output to 1080p when we have access to 4K channels (well... a couple of them).

Its very strange that this started only recently.  I'm guessing a software update on the V6 has triggered this behaviour.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the V6 is now enforcing HDCP 2.2 compatibility when watching VOD and using certain apps on a 4K UHD TV in 2160p

If any of the equipment in your chain is not HDCP 2.2 compatible, then various errors (603/604) or odd behaviour (lead-in adverts play, then blank screen) is now intentional.

At least you're now getting what looks like a half-decent explanation on-screen.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@mbozaritchie wrote:

I have tried the "clear and reset" on the V6 box with no luck.

Did it work at all after you did this? Or when you reboot the box? Or does it immediate fail again with errors?

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
mbozaritchie
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Oddly enough it just started working again.

It wasn't working.

Clear and reset carried out.

Still wasn't working even after 12 hours post reset.

Suddenly working again.

I've made no changes to the cabling or AV setup in general.  It's just working.  For now... (I'm the eternal cynic... 25+ years in IT Infrastructure have taught me that!  😄 

We'll see how it goes over the next couple of weeks or so.

0 Kudos