Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Casting from phone to tv

Can anyone assist. We are having trouble with a 2nd TiVo box that’s connected to WiFi as Ethernet isn’t possible. 

Trying to connect the YouTube app from phone to the V6 very rarely connects, our main box is super fast and connects straight away. 

thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Casting from phone to tv

The TiVo box doesn't have WiFi... it has one co-ax connection carrying your incoming TV & internet signal, and the option of an Ethernet connection to your router if you want to link to additional TiVo or V6 elsewhere in your home.

The V6 uses WiFi as an alternative to Ethernet for linking to your home router for internet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I do have a V6 box as mentioned in my first post. 

the issue is casting to the V6 box. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is anyone able to assist at all with this issue?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Les2013,

Why don't you just use the You Tube app on the 2nd box instead of casting from your mobile?

You could set up a booster/  powerline adapter to improve the signal where the 2nd box is sitting and then also possibly use an ethernet cable in that location

Have you tried splitting the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz signals? 2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

Open a browser and log into your hub 192.168.0.1 - then navigate to the following settings so you can differentiate between the signals.

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click on Disable Channel Optimization  then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes. 

Now go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add  a 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name  and click on Apply Changes.

You can leave the passwords the same as they are.  Then log out of the hub at the top of the page

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

You could also do a search for an app such as wifi analyzer which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@newapollo wrote:

Hi Les2013,

Why don't you just use the You Tube app on the 2nd box instead of casting from your mobile?

That's what happens when you 'cast' YouTube via V6. The app on the box itself still runs and does all the heavy lifting - but the app on your mobile then becomes the playlist and playback control device.

Same as the Netflix casting option

But both of these do need a stable home network connection between the casting device and the output device for it to work, in addition to the Internet connection to both devices being able to talk to the content source i.e. YouTube.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box not seeing other box contents

I have 2 V6 box’s and the one upstairs thats connected to WiFi, over the last couple days we have not been able to continue watching a program upstairs and just says will take 30’s to connect but never does.

We seem to have many problem with the one upstairs and with connection, weather this will be casting from phone (YouTube app) to the V6 box or various other connection issues. 

Could someone please assist.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I try connecting the V6 box to 2.4ghx and also 5ghz and still get the same issues. Now I cannot continue watching a recorded program upstairs.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box not seeing other box contents

Hi Les2013,

Thank you for reaching out with regards to your casting/streaming issues, I'm sorry that you've been having trouble using certain apps and functions on the V6.

As our other community members have advised, you do need a strong connection in order to perform these kinds of activities. I suspect that your upstairs V6 isn't quite getting the signal it needs to successfully complete the requested actions. Do you have any more luck using the app by itself, rather than casting?

In taking a look at the backend of your services, it does seem like there are a few issues with your in-home wireless network. I suspect that certain devices are causing interference with your wifi signal and therefore affecting the associated services on your V6. Have you had a look at our WiFi Wins at all? I know they may seem a little basic but it really can make a lot of difference, there are a lot of factors which can interfere with wifi. It would be worth seeing if there's anything too close to the hub which could be moved, or check if any devices could be connected via ethernet instead of wifi.

I can't see anything wrong with the service entering your property, so it does appear to be mainly a setup issue. Taking a look at our Connect App to run various diagnostics can be useful, as well as allowing you to order boosters if appropriate.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos