Menu
Neal2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Cannot watch catch up.

For some time now I’ve not been able to watch catch up, it runs for 15 to 30 mins then a C130 error appears the small red heart light starts flashing. If I wait a while till the light stops flashing it will allow me to watch again for a further 15mins. I have contacted virgin on numerous occasions for help but they just check the system & say no fault is appearing. I’ve now hard wired rather than relying on wifi both my V6 boxes but this has not improved catch up at all. I’ve complained to virgin again and managed to get a new router as mine was 10 years old but still no improvement. I’ve been a virgin media company since they started but the customer service has deteriorated so badly I feel the only way I will be able to stream on my tv is swap my subscription to another company.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cannot watch catch up.

Something's not right here.

You've referred to a small red heart light, but the V6 doesn't have a heart light - the TiVo has a green heartbeat LED to indicate network connectivity, the V6 has a small "2 arrow" symbol to show a dropped 'net connection. Can you confirm? Check here if you want to make sure.

The TiVo has an inbuilt modem, the V6 relies on your home-hub. At the risk of opening a can of broadband worms in the TV board, is your home broadband ok with other devices?

Confirm the box you have, and further advice can follow.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Neal2
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi firstly thanks for replying & secondly sorry for the confusion it’s the TiVo box I have. I’ve read so many articles trying to sort this out I’ve confused myself. The small light on the front is green. Regarding using broadband for anything else I only use an iPad and this appears ok apart from the signal only reaches about half my property so I use wifi extenders, I thought this may be the problem with the tv so relocated my router and connected tv box to router with a network cable. When the small light starts flashing I’m never using my iPad at that time so couldn’t really say if iPad was affected at same time. I have a TiVo box in two locations but really only ever use one of them so I swapped them over but got just the same result dropping signal again & again.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No problem - by means of general advice, the TiVo & the V6 both run TiVo software which can sometimes cause confusion. But they're totally different boxes hardware-wise so common parlance is as per.

The TiVo has its own inbuilt modem and doesn't have WiFi, so all mention of your home broadband and other devices, are immaterial for this purpose. The Ethernet connection on the back is for allowing in-home streaming of recorded programmes onto a mobile device, it's not to provide internet connectivity.

If the green heartbeat light is flashing, that's indicative of the inbuilt modem failing, which is a service fault all-day long. This will almost certainly mean a box replacement, so be aware of any recordings on that box being lost. You can either report the fault by calling on the usual number (150 from a VM phone or 0345 4541111 from any other), or by waiting on here for staff to respond - which may be an extra day or so. If you choose to call, I strongly recommend being quite clear about "my heartbeat online light is flashing" and reiterate that point without deviation - it may just get you over the line.

As a general point, if you have VM broadband and are willing to re-contract for 18months, you may well want to consider trying to get a swap from TiVo > V6 boxes. They run the same software as you're used to, but on completely updated hardware with a few improvements. 6 recording tuners rather than 3, much quicker in general operation, and a few more additional streaming apps - all depending what floats your boat.

The only difference is, that the V6 doesn't have its own inbuilt 'net connection so does rely on your home-hub for all things online. Ideally an Ethernet wired connection, but it does support WiFi if that's not possible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Neal2
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for the excellent reply. Would I be able to request a new contract and upgrade to new boxes via any form of message rather than the tedious phone call where I have told them the heart light is consistently flashing several times with no advise to upgrade.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Unfortunately, it's probably not that simple.

If you want to pursue the new contract route (and bypass the faults avenue), then that'll be a call to VM following the retentions route - ideally being armed with some idea of current bundle pricing (this is as good as anything ) and make sure a box-swap is part of any new contract.

If you go down the faults line, then that can either be done by calling in or waiting (a day or so, typically) on here for staff to respond. You can only expect to get a like-for-like swap (i.e. a replaement TiVo) by going this route, but there may be an opportunity to "ask nicely" as it were.

You may be slightly more reliant on equipment stock levels by following faults - at least with a new contract, VM get at least another guaranteed 18months revenue from you in return for the new kit. Edited to add that the VM staff who respond on here can deal with fault replacements, but not package negotiations or re-contract procedures.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Neal2,

EDIT japitts beat me to it, but wasn't as long winded 🤣

You don't say which package you are on but if you are out of contract, or coming to the end of a contract then you should maybe look at negotiating a new contract to save money on your own terms.

Make sure you stipulate that you want a free upgrade to the V6  as part of your new deal.

You can check out the prices and what's available on the following page

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles  

The lower price is the new customer price which you won't qualify for, the higher price is the out of contract price. By negotiating you should get something in between, if you do call then you can have a price point in mind to barter with.

You should check out the channels available in each package using the June Channel Guide columns 5 and 6, the other packages are now discontinued.

.If there’s a plus sign next to the listing then it’s available as part of a Personal Pick collection.

Personal Picks are grouped into Entertainment & Drama, Entertainment & Documentaries, Entertainment & Lifestyle, Entertainment & Sport Lite and Kids categories.

The kids Personal Pick is £5 a month.  With the other Personal Picks, the first one you add is an extra £7 a month, any additional ones are £5 a month. You can cancel the Personal Pick at any time by giving 30 days notice. It won't affect your contract or any discounts you have.

There is a selection of Personal Picks <<< Here >>> 

Unfortunately you need to contact VM directly as the Forum Team don't have access to enable them to change your package. 

You should call  150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1,4 and 4 Retentions (thinking of leaving us)  The best time to call is between 8am and 10am to avoid call queues, or late afternoon around tea time

Retentions (thinking of leaving us) are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents.

Hopefully you can then negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract, but again make sure you ask or a free upgrade to V6 as part of the package

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Neal2
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi thanks very much for the information. The package I have has phone, broadband & tv with all sports channels & I extra TiVo box I will give Virgin a ring tomorrow & try & upgrade to the V6 box.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Neal2,

Glancing at your package details, it might be worthwhile asking them what price you can get the Ultimate oomph bundle for (but ask about your boxes being upgraded for free)

The charge for the extra box is included in that bundle,  plus you would also get the Sky Movie channels, anytime landline calls, an unlimited sim and probably a higher broadband speed.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Neal2 wrote:

Hi thanks very much for the information. The package I have has phone, broadband & tv with all sports channels & I extra TiVo box I will give Virgin a ring tomorrow & try & upgrade to the V6 box.

Sky Sports is chargeable on all bundles, as is Premier Sports. BT Sport is included on top-tier XL/MaxIt bundles.

Ultimate Oomph includes MaxIt TV + all Sky Premiums, Sky HD & one multi-room box. Premier Sports will be chargeable on all packages.

Your bills & contract will show which bundle you have, but UO would be a good comparison to start with.