Menu
Garyc2
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Can you get an update on TiVo box if you don't have broadband throu VM?

My elderly dad has a TiVo box but doesn't get WiFi throu VM can he get an upgrade as can't get itv hub, Amazon prime etc on old box,and as far as I'm aware his TV is not smart abit like me,can anyone help as I'm clueless,I could get a smart TV and use his ée broadband so he can watch his box sets etc?

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can you get an update on TiVo box if you don't have broadband throu VM?

You need to get him broadband if he wants amazon prime erc

0 Kudos
Garyc2
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks he has got broadband but not with VM it's EE Broadband does the V6 box connect him to internet because when I go on his TiVo box for itv hub etc,Amazon prime it says need to upgrade to V6 although Netflix's plays?

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To use an modern VM TV box - V6 or V360 you must have a broadband connection with VM. Third party broadband doesn't work.

However the older TiVO box has its own built in modem to provide its broadband connection and if you press "Home" and look at the results you will see the range of catch-up services and box sets and offer (some of which you need to pay for) available for the TiVO.

What is more you don't need a wifi connection to your TV box. The only time you do is if you need to connect your TiVO box to your home network for sharing across multiple boxes in different rooms or because you wish to use the VM TV apps to control the TiVO box.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The older TiVo box has exactly the same OnDemand options as the V6. So all of VM's CatchUp & Boxset programmes from the same channels are all available if you follow Home > CatchUp, or Home > OnDemand.

The TiVo has its own inbuilt internet connection to make these services work, and your home broadband is irrelevant for this purpose.

Where the V6 differs, is having access to additional streaming apps. Much (but not all) of the programming on these apps is the same as what's available via VM's own platform.

The only thing to point out here, is that channels such as ITV & Channel4 especially, confuse matters here. To take ITV, they use the "ITV Hub" branding to mean several things.

If you watch ITV programmes on VM's CatchUp service, you often click on the "ITV Hub" logo and get "ITV Hub" branding onscreen. This does not mean you're watching on the "ITV Hub" streaming app, that's only available on the V6.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks