Menu
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Can't record any Star Treks with a series link

A couple of days ago I set a series link for Star Trek Voyager, and plenty of episodes appeared in my Planned Recording. The next day nothing had been recorded though some of the planned episodes had been aired. The reason stated in the recording hiccups was 'duplicate'. Also all the episodes ahve disappeared from my Planned Recordings. They are no longer planned.

Yesterday I tried again, and I set a series link to record Star Trek The Next Generation. Exactly the same thing happened - no recordings due to duplicates, and all planned recording vanished.

I both cases there are no duplicates. If there were, then one of the duplicates would have recorded for each episode, but nothing was recorded.

Both shows are being aired on the SyFy channel which is in my package.

I have a theory, and I hope it's completely wrong because only a seriously scumbucket company would do such a thing. All the episodes are available for viewing on Netflix, which I could get if I pay for Netflix, but it'll be cold day in hell when I do that. My theory is that Virgin has made a deal with Netflix to not allow series link recordings for them.

As I said, I hope that's not the case. Can anyone explain to me why no recordings were made?, and why all the planned recordings have disappeared?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't record any Star Treks with a series link

What settings did you have on the Series Links:  "New Only",  "New & Reruns" or "Everything"?

Keith

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

New and reruns. There are no new episodes, of course, but lots of reruns.

Last night I tested setting a single episode to record overnight - no series link - and that recorded ok.

I've just tried a series link again (Voyager) with the 'everything' setting.  Like before, episodes show in my My Planned Recordings - for now. There are 2 episodes starting a 1pm so I'll get a result in a few minutes.

I'm wondering if shows that are available in On Demand are treated as available so that series links that include them won't record them because they are already available to watch without making a 'duplicate' recording. If that's so, it looks like shows that are available from Netflix are treated as already being available, so they don't recorded. That would be utterly ridiculous, of course, because they aren't available unless you're a customer of another system entirely.

The first Voyager episode is due to record in 7 minutes. I'll post what happens.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No, stuff available on demand (e.g. Netflix) isn't counted as "duplicate"; duplicates should only be if either the episode is already recorded or (I think) if it's been shown in the last 30 days.

Keith

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It's recording. So I've set a series link again for The Next Generation and another for DS9. Both as 'new and reruns', not 'everything', and both are showing Planned Recordings, so we'll see how they go.

It's becoming a real mystery as to what happened to the first 2 series links I set.

Incidentally, there were no duplications due to any episodes being shown in the previous 30 days because those would only become duplicates if I'd recorded them, even if I'd then deleted them. I didn't record any Star Trek episodes in that timescale - or for many years. I only want some now because, while reading about a pop star from my youth (Eden Kane), I discovered that he went on to be in the Star Trek team and appeared in many episodes in various bit parts - Klingon, Romulan, General in the last Voyager, and so on. Out of curiosity, I just want to see how he did in some of those.

I'll post what happens with all 3 series links. Hopefully all will be well this time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

All 3 series links are recording, and the episodes haven't disappeared from my Planned Recordings. Voyager is set to record everything, but DS9 and Next Generation are set to record new and reruns, so that setting appears to have made no difference.

After they had been recording, I went in to watch TV a bit and changed channel straight away to BBC2. Or I tried to change to BBC2. But the instant I clicked on the Guide to change channel, the V6 started to reboot. Coincidentally(?), it rebooted as soon as the second Voyager episode had finished recording. If I were a suspicious person, then I'd suspect that some Virgin employee has seen this thread and remotely rebooted the V6, but taking care not to interfere with a recording. Certainly something very strange has been happening.

So it's all ok now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Phil_C

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your recordings.  Can I ask if you're a single or multi-room customer and if so, does the issue exist on more than one box?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee,

I have 2 boxes (V6 and Tivo) but I can't watch recordings that are on the Tivo via the V6 and vice versa because I don't know how to connect things in order to do the multi-room thing, which is a bit disappointing sometimes. However, the V6 is the main (living room) one and it's that one that I couldn't get to record Star Trek series links. I can now, of course. I didn't try to do any Star Trek series links on the Tivo, so I've no idea if the problem would have occured on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So, to clarify has the recording issue now been resolved?

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

On the "My Shows" screen, look at the bottom left and you should see "Other TiVo boxes" select that then the box you want to watch something from. The select the program as you normally would

0 Kudos