Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can only use 70% of hard drive

My Virgin box won't record over 70%. After steadly filling it with recordings, it has held at 70% despite me continually adding more to record. I then noticed shows I recently recorded had gone and in 'Recording Hiccups' it said they were deleted due to lack of space.
It previously has been at 99%. I had a clearout of programmes taking it down to 10% full and since then it has steadily climbed back to 70% but goes no further.There are 200 items in the deleted section, but shouldn't these go before it deletes recordings? It did so before at about 98%. 30% is a lot of hours I can't use at the moment.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can only use 70% of hard drive

You're right to think that programmes in the deleted items folder don't count towards the total. Instinctively this sounds like the HDD needs reformatting/replacing, but you'll lose everything on the box if you go that way... I'm presuming you've tried restarting the box?

Under Home > Help & Settings > System Info, there's a readout of spare and used recording space. What does it report?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can only use 70% of hard drive

Hi

It says total capacity up to 120 hours HD / 523 hours SD.

Free space 34 hours HD / 157 hours SD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

V6 full a70%.

My V6 won't record beyond 70% and is deleting existing recordings I have not watched or wanted to keep for watching again. They show on the Recording Hiccups page as deleted - space needed.
They are not in the Recently Deleted Recordings section. They are all recordings I have deleted after watching them, about 200 in total.I have called Virgin Media who have a recorded message saying their call centres are closed and tests done by them remotely have picked up no problems.
If I cannot speak to anyone and they say my box is working, what can I do?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

V6 says it's full at 70%

My V6 won't record beyond 70% and is deleting existing recordings I have not watched or wanted to keep for watching again. They show on the Recording Hiccups page as deleted - space needed.
They are not in the Recently Deleted Recordings section. They are all recordings I have deleted after watching them, about 200 in total.I have called Virgin Media who have a recorded message saying their call centres are closed and tests done by them remotely have picked up no problems.
If I cannot speak to anyone and they say my box is working, what can I do? 150 hours recording capacity is a lot to lose.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 says it's full at 70%

Please don't create multiple/repeat threads for the same issue, it won't get your problem resolved any quicker and can cause confusion.. I've merged your threads for you 🙂

There's two lines of attack here, your box is almost certainly duff but...

You can try a hard reset of your box, you'll lose all recordings and be reformatting your disk for all intents, but it may just work. You'll lose everything with a replacement box anyway, so there's nothing to lose and may just get you back online sooner.

Follow Home > Help & Settings > Clear or Reset TiVo box, and work through each level of reset in-turn. There's on-screen guidance as to what each one does, and safety keypresses to stop accidental ones.

If you reach the end of the reset cycle and the issue isn't clear, then you will need to call faults to have your box replaced.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for thr reply. I have done all the testing and reset stuff without wiping the entire box. Something else I noticed is programmes I watched last week and deleted are now gone from the recently deleted area, while those I deleted months ago are still there. I deleted all 200 of them which took ages to see if that made any difference, but it didn't. It must be software with the box as hard drives pack up completely when they go bad.
If they send me a new box will they send me a new one first so I get uninterrupted TV or do i have to sent back my faulty one first and wait for the new one?
Or can ask for a new one without a hard drive and swap the drives over so I don't lose my recordings, then send back the old box?
Most of all, how do I contact Virgin for service? There is a message saying the call centres are closed.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A few things in there!

If old recordings are seemingly being kept in the way you describe, there won't be any harm in manually deleting those. The system should do it by default, but giving it a kick can't do any harm and if it's behaving in a "corrupt" manner, then all bets are off as to what outcome it'll give...

All replacement boxes are exactly that - replacements. When the new box is activated (which "should" occur during the power-up phase, but some recent ones are manual over the phone) the old one is deactivated and will no longer work. VM don't replace hard drives, they replace boxes - and the recordings are encrypted to that specific box, anyway.

As regards contacting Virgin, the call centres aren't closed but there are numerous capacity issues with them at the moment, which an element of home-based staff can mitigate for, but I suspect not replace entirely. You just need to call, possibly earlier in the day, and be prepared to wait.

0 Kudos