Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Can V6 box be used for freeview?

Hi,

After options really.  I currently have 100Mbps internet, with phone line and "mix tv" which doesnt even appear to be a real package.

I also have this with 2x Tivo V6 boxes.

I have never used the landline with virgin in 10 years, so want to remove this.  My children literally only watch cbeebies and my wife watches BBC1.  I only use netflix.

I would really rather just buy 200Mbps broadband, remove the phone line and the TV package.

Is it possible to use the V6 boxes for a "freeview" type service, if not, can i use the incoming coax into another type of recording box?

After any guidance you can offer really?

Thanks
Nick

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Freeview

Virgin TV boxes are rented & remain Virgin property. If you stop paying for TV they must be returned to Virgin. All new TVs have Freeview built in, but you will need to install a rooftop antenna (assuming you have not got one already) as you cannot use the Virgin cable for this either. There are no free services on their network. If you want to record you will additionally need a Freeview PVR.

You can also remove the phone, but bear in mind you will lose a huge amount of discount which will push your Broadband cost to within a few pounds of the price with a phone included anyway.

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info / quick response.  Helpful to know this information.

Do you know if they do just a basic channels package that is paid for.  I dont need 200+ channels, just standard freeview channels would suffice.  I'd consider paying for this provided it wasn't extortionate.

Their website is go awful, there isnt even a way to calculate a reduction in package, only to spend more.  you cant even chat online about a reduction in package, you have to call them up which is a hassle.

Virgins Broadband has always been best in our town, and I would never leave the broadband package.  I just cant justify £70 as a loyal customer for 10+ years when i dont really use the TV package.

Trying to find a way to remain loyal, but companies dont make it easy these days, and certainly dont reward for loyalty.  Breeds completely the wrong behavior IMO. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Big Bundle with Mixit TV (122 channels) is the cheapest.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Have a play with https://store.virginmedia.com/build-your-bundle to compare different options and prices too.

You'll need to put a postcode in that is capable of getting VM services, and just use the options for "I'm new to Virgin Media" to run a dummy order. You needn't have any intention of following through online.

That will give you an idea of "new customer" prices, which you won't necessarily match but can certainly use as a benchmark when you then call C/S to negotiate a new package.

0 Kudos