Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cable connections

Hi I will make this as simple as I can please bear with me.  Ive had an internet connection for a long while ( back to when it was ntl) and I had it installed upstairs and plugged via Ethernet cable into my pc thro a belkin router. Forward a number of years and I had a tivo box installed downstairs direct to my tv. So I have 2 cable connections, the upstairs is now into  the latest hub the second into my old tivo. I have just ordered a new tivo v6 (to go with my new tv) so my  question is can I connect my router to the cable at my tv and into the tivo  using just the one cable,I no longer use the pc upstairs, or do I need an engineer to install. 
thanks for taking the time to read I would appreciate any advice.

Tony

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable connections

What you will need is a splitter at the one location so you can connect both the router and V6.

In addition, you will need to cap off the unused, second location.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Your TiVo needs one physical connection, which is the incoming co-ax. It carries TV & internet, which is split internally.

The V6 needs two connections. The TV signals come in on the co-ax cable, but internet comes via your homehub. Ideally this is via an Ethernet connection, but it can also be via WiFi or potentially powerline.

From what I understand, your router is upstairs and the TV is downstairs, so I'd assume you're going to be using WiFi or Powerline.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this

So if I disconnect hub upstairs and bring it down near my tv and connect the hub with the cable that  is now connected to my tivo and use an ethernet cable to connect the router to the new v6 that will do?

I dont use my desktop pc upstairs for the internet any more so there is no reason for my hub to be upstairs. It would give me a  better wifi downstairs 

Tony

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Your proposed solution is best. You need a tech to split the cable to feed both the hub and the V6, and he can disconnect the upstairs cable feed and test the signal levels.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You need to have a coax connection to BOTH the hub and the V6 and an Ethernet connection to the V6.  If you want them both in the same room you’d be best to arrange a manned install for the V6.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi tony_robbo,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community.

I have taken a look on our side and I can see you have spoken with our agents concerning this. 

Have you been able to get a technician booked in for this? 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin no I havent, they seemed reluctant to send someone.  I did speak to one of the engineers tho and he said I needed a splitter and I could do that myself. After the trouble it took for me to get the box (more than 3hrs on phone mostly on hold ) I was reluctant to ring back. I have the box, it was delivered on Tuesday, to a pickup point not my home, and that is  a story in itself, and was told that the splitter I needed would be ordered once the box had been delivered. As I expected,  I have heard nothing since so I dont know if the splitter was ordered, I would assume not!  Saturday is definitely not a good day to try ringing. So Ive got the box and its sat on the sofa, still in its box in my conservatory awaiting the bits I need. I have read the instructions tho and I see I can do it by wifi, but with my hub upstairs connections would be weak I guess, anyway this is why I got the new box in the first place, so they were together. Are you able to gee them up? I would appreciate that

Thanks Tony

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that information. 

We do wish to help get this resolved for you. 

I will private message you to get some information. 

^Martin

0 Kudos