cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C501 error

Arronb88
Tuning in

Hello

I have had error c501 for over a week now while watching catch up on the all4 app. I have checked the cables and reset box and internet a number of times i have checked for faults in my area and there isnt any relating to my issue and they clear with in a day unlike my error. Getting fed up with it now. Any ideas?

The error happens half way through watching something. The red internet and connection lights flash on the front of the box when it happens. Its like the connection just drops off with no explanation or reason. 

19 REPLIES 19

I will try this now. That reboot that happend was not me. It was the box itself. When i have run the online test on my virgin app it always says reboot the box. What about the 2-3 second pause in live tv when recording starts and ends? 

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks @Arronb88 - do keep us posted on how the Hub reboot goes. 

Can you elaborate on what you mean about the pause on Live TV on a recording - I'm not quite understanding the problem? 

Katie - Forum Team

Reboot went well as always. Just waiting for the error codes and random reboots now.

When a planned recording starts and finishes there is a pause in the live tv we are watching even if its the same channel or another channel. The pause lasts 2-3 seconds.

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for rebooting everything this time @Arronb88

I'm still not getting what you mean about your recording and the pause? Is the pause after you have stopped the recording and have returned back to normal TV? What is paused at the start of the recording? Could you show a video so we can better understand what you mean? 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Nothing waiting for recording so i will try and explain again.

When a programme is starting and finishing recording in the back ground when watching normal tv there is a pause of about 2-3 seconds. This happens on every planned recording. Hope this clears things up

Thank you for letting us know.

How long has this been ongoing for? Is this the only time your TV experiences these pauses? Are the recordings affected by this?

Please get back to us when you can.

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Its been happening for over a year now and got now where with virgin online chat. The recordings are effected every now and then by pixilated parts. The other error codes have happened in the last 6 months. This is the only time it happens when recording. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you're watching the same channel that is set to record, the live picture will pause momentarily when the recording starts & finishes - this is the buffers being cleared and is entirely normal.

If you're still getting pixellation on live TV (and the resultant recordings) that, to me at least, is a clear fault. Deciding between the box and your cabling, is where VM's diagnostics come in. (Or a box-swap if you have a multi-room sub)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you. Finally a clear answer. It happens to channels we are not watching aswell. I have checked all the cabling my end. The pixillation is still happening intermittently but seems to be getting more offten. No error code with it just the odd few seconds of pixillation. I have done many diagnostic tests through my virgin app and when i do one on the tv it just says to reset the box.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for coning back to us @Arronb88 

Everything on your account looks as it should.  Have you tried an alternative HDMI cable? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M