Menu
Highlighted
stevenbarker33
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

C219 Error but router is working v6 box

Hi

My router connection is fine. I can go on the internet through wifi so the coax connection between the router is obviously sound.

The setup fails at the verify stage with a C219. I have tried it using ethernet and wifi. The info (presume software) downloaded, loading progresses to complete, but then verify fails.

I can only presume this means that the installed software has failed its chexsum process, i.e. it has corrupted on download / not installed the software properly. 

Ive tried a reset by pressing + and standby button on the box, but this doesnt clear the downloaded software. The box needs a full hard reset so it will download the software again or the box is faulty from new.

I cant access any other menus to instigate a reset via the remot because once verify fails you get stuck in a loop of retry connection prompts.

HELP!

Steve

0 Kudos
Highlighted
michaeldavis
Well-informed
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: C219 Error but router is working v6 box

"My router connection is fine. I can go on the internet through wifi so the coax connection between the router is obviously sound."

Not so, you can have a perfectly functioning Internet connection using other devices, it is incorrect to suppose that you have an internet connection to your V6 box just because other devices are working.

Is this a new self installation of a V6 box, or where you experiencing other issues, and have opted to do an effective wipe and start again of the V6 box.

The V6 box needs the following to work:
It has to be authorized (the process is explained in the manual and, authorization has to be done prior to connection)
Either a direct connection or one Via a powerline device to virgin media.
Either a CAT5e or CAT6 wired connection or a wifi connection to a virgin media hub.

If you follow the instructions in the manual, you should have few issues, but if you don't then you will have issues.

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
stevenbarker33
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If you read my post carefully and understand the v6 box installation process, you will understand that if there were no connection at all between the router and v6 box, via ethernet or wifi (tried both) that its not even possible to get to the verify stage because if there is no connection it stops at stage 1, Connection with a fail message and tells you to check cables / connection which i have done. 

BTW you cant even get to verify stage without having downloaded the software, unpacking it then loading it into the hardware stages being completed. Thats the idea of the self install process, you cant move to the next stage until the preceding stage is complete.

Because i can reach the verify stage i have therefore downloaded some software, (i watched the progress indication creep slowly to 100%), it got unpacked and loaded, again watched the percent indicator creep up to 100%.

So i conclude the software download is either corrupt or corrupting on installation onto the v6 hardware hence failure of the verify / checksum stage.

I tried the hard reset as stated pressing + and standby on the box, but this does not clear the software package already downloaded. I tried this hard reset a few times.

I have read that some boxes are actually faulty from new.

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Cueball99
Rising star
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just a thought, are you connecting the V6 directly to the VM hub or is that in modem mode with a 3rd party router attached, with the V6 connected to that?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
stevenbarker33
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm only using supplied equipment connected up as directed in the booklet. No third party gear or other stuff connected.

I only tried wifi connection to the v6 instead of ethernet out of desperation. 

I phoned the helpline Friday and they were useless. We went through what the booklet said but then it got farcical. 

He kept saying check the coax is proerley connected to the router. I explained that the router coax was connected and ok because i could get on the internet using the router and my laptop. 

He then got obsessed with the short RF connector for the V6 box. I had to explain to him that the RF connector is irrelevant for my setup because the v6 box was connected to the tv via hdmi and i could obviously see what the v6 box was doing. 

The agent obviously didnt understand how the equipment really worked, i.e. software for installation is download from the internet via the router to the v6 box via ethernet and RF connection isnt for setup.

I connected the short rf cable to the v6 box to humour him even though there was nothing to connect it to, which obviously made no difference. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If I am correct, you appear to have been given the correct information but perhaps have chosen to ignore it as it was not properly explained.

The V6 is a cable TV box and, like all cable TV boxes, it requires a connection to a cable connection point by co-ax.

The short RF cable converts the RF output connection to co-ax to effect this connection.

You MUST install this RF connector into your V6 then connect the other end into the supplied co-ax cable which then goes into a cable connection point.

Your install will then work.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
stevenbarker33
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

I havent chosen to ignore it.

If you re read my post thread you will see that i have actually downloaded the software update but it fails at the verify stage / checksum.

Plus there is no instruction to connect the v6 box to the wall cable outlet. 

I have also tried connecting the wall cable coax direct o the v6 rf box oit of desperation. But then that obviosly then means therouter has no feed to it.

So when setup is attempted with the coax connected to the v6 box rather than the router, surprise surprise, i get an instant connection failure at stage 1 of the setu process. 

My point is the instructions detail softwae update and installation via the router and ethernet cable, not via the rf cable. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
stevenbarker33
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

To clarify the coax cable is the cable from the wall point to the router. Yes?

The RF cable is the short adapter supplied.

I havent got a splitter to allow connection of both RF to v6 box and coax to the router at the same time. Not supplied. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Let me be plain.

Every piece of Virgin Media equipment, broadband and TV, requires a co-ax connection to the cable network.

For your V6 installation to complete and for your V6 to operate correctly in future, the V6 must have both a co-ax connection to the cable network and a connection to your home network broadband hub. Of course, your broadband hub must also have a cable connection at all times.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
stevenbarker33
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ok. But my kit was not supplied with a splitter to allow connection to the router and v6 box at the same time. That is my point. 

And if it needs both its not actually shown in the booklet. The RF adapter is mentioned but as an aside if you wish to connect other equipment. 

0 Kudos