Menu
thfcbruce
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Broadcast subtitles for Amazon not displaying

When I view a show on Amazon Prime that features characters speaking in a foreign language, the English subtitles do not appear. However, if I watch the same show on another device, e.g. my smart TV's built in Amazon Prime app, the subtitles appear normally.

To clarify, I'm not talking about the subtitles you can turn on for the hard of hearing. The ones I am talking about are the ones that go out for all viewers to read for when the characters are speaking in another language.

This is happening when watching Jack Ryan, episode 3.

Any idea how I can get this working? It seems to be something on the app on Virgin Media.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadcast subtitles for Amazon not displaying

Hi thfcbruce

Thanks for posting and apologies for the subtitle issues on this program. I've tried it myself today on a non-Virgin Media device and I can report it's not giving the subtitles there either. It's potentially an Amazon issue so I will feed this back on our end for further clarification. Good choice of program btw, never watched it but looks good from what I've seen 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
thfcbruce
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thanks for looking at this. Subtitles work on non-VM devices for me, e.g. Android phone and the TV's own app, but not the VM app. But at least you can see and confirm there is an issue.

Hope to hear more soon. Cheers.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us.

You'll need to speak to Amazon on this I'm afraid as we're not able to find an issue. I've personally managed to see the subtitles on several different non-VM devices when people are talking in a different language.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
GoliathHarry
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi - I have the identical problem when watching Season 1 Ep 10 of The Man in The High Castle on Prime through the V6 box.

When I watch in on the PC or iPad, the subtitles for non-english parts are there but when watching through the Virgin box they are not visible.

This relates to the embedded subtitles for non-english parts and not for the optional CC subtitles which work fine.

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi GoliathHarry,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I believe John has answered this one further up the thread, it will be something you'd need to speak with Amazon about 

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
GoliathHarry
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply and I have sent a message to Amazon too.

However, as the subtitles for non-english parts show perfectly on every other platform I have viewed this episode on (mobile, iPad, PC etc) and only the Virgin V6 box has a problem, and coupled with other Virgin customers experiencing the same issue, surely this is something Virgin should also be looking into to resolve?

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

We will certainly feed this back GoliathHarry,

When we do have any further information regarding this issue we will post back through this channel to give you an update of what we have found

Kind regards Jodi

thfcbruce
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I still can't watch Amazon, YouTube or stream VM content. I can't contact VM as their call centres are no liner open. How do I get this resolved? Can someone from VM point me on how to get this fixed? Thanks.

0 Kudos
creaney2000
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Virgin Team,

Is there any update on this issue. I am also having the problem that foreign language subtitles do not appear on the my Virgin V6 box unless I turn on subtitles for hard of hearing which I do not want to do as I do not need subtitle for English language parts. This has affected the boys, Spurs all or nothing and other shows. The problem does not appear on my smart TV, phone or computer. I can see from further up in this post the user was referred to Amazon directly. I have found an Amazon page when they have said it is not their issue.

I have attached the link below for reference. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

https://uk.amazonforum.com/s/question/0D54P00007bhvrXSAQ/english-subtitles-for-foreign-dialogue-not-....

0 Kudos