cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Box stuck in boot loop

MistaGiggles
Tuning in

Box crashed a few days ago. Went through a the usual "Welcome" screen  followed by the "Starting up" screen normally seen after a restart. However, it then switched to a bright green background with :

"The DVR has detected a serious problem and is now attempting to fix it. This will take about three hours. PLEASE DO NOT UNPLUG OR RESTART THE DVR." 

"If, after three hours, the DVR does not restart, please call Customer Support".

Stayed like this for a long time, and has since started going through endless boot loops, occasionally showing this screen.

I'd rather not be stuck on the phone for hours trying to talk to customer support. 

Anything I can do to workaround this problem? Or get a new box sent out?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

More than likely this a failed hard disk. VM won’t send out replacement boxes if there is a fault, so it will be a tech callout.

The Forum Team here can book tech visits if you are prepared to wait for a response.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

More than likely this a failed hard disk. VM won’t send out replacement boxes if there is a fault, so it will be a tech callout.

The Forum Team here can book tech visits if you are prepared to wait for a response.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi MistaGiggles, 

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your STB and that the DVR error message has appeared. 

As our valued member @nodrogd has advised, this generally requires a technicians visit as it sounds as though the hard drive has failed. 

As you posted a little while ago, did you manage to call our team to get an engineer arranged, or do you still require help with this?

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi Jodi,No, I haven't had time to arrange for an engineer. Can this be done here?

Thanks 

Thanks for coming back to us @MistaGiggles, check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me, and I'll have it booked in for you.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn