Menu
Davidob92
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Bluetooth remote range

I’m looking to have 3 boxes put in the cellar for three seperate rooms. 
The technician installing the WiFi said that the remotes are now Bluetooth so the box doesn’t necessarily have to be in the room for it to work. 
The three rooms will be around 5m, 10m and 15m away from each box. 

Will the remotes work still, or what can I buy extra to boost the Bluetooth signal?

Any help is massively appreciated! 
Thanks 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bluetooth remote range

Hello

The only way to tell is too try, they should work at those distances but it will depend on the make up of the floors and walls, have a look at https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-boost-your-bluetooth-signal-to-cover-your-entire-home-or-office... , the standards for bluetooth is not less than 10m.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Davidob92
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It’s a difficult one cause as the house is currently undergoing a massive refurbishment I’m just trying to work out weather I’ll need to run additional cables from the box to TVs on each floor If the Bluetooth signal is not strong enough. 

Or if they go for A virgin System that isn’t Bluetooth remote enabled. 

thanks 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

There is  one thing that may also affect you is that running HDMI cables more than 10m may cause a problems as 4K will not do much more than 3m - For resolutions near 4K, it's recommended to use an HDMI cable that is no longer than 3 meters (10 feet). After that distance, the signal can start to degrade. For lower resolutions, the reliable distance is much longer, with the most common being 15 meters (50 feet).

I am afraid that you cannot run the coaxial cable yourself it is against the T&C to modify VM cable, all you could do would be to install draw strings to enable an engineer to fit the cables.

All of the current boxes V6 and V360 are RF remotes, but can also use IR as they are dual purpose.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
PhilSand
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Are all of the next boxes paired via bluetooth? Doesn't quite seem like it as the range it pretty short, and holding down "Info" button for 10 seconds does nothing. Any ideas? Thanks
0 Kudos