Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Beware the V6 Optical Audio port.

Ordered a new TV to be delivered on Sunday, weirdly 5 years to the day after we got our current one which has suddenly got a 50 pence piece sized very bright spot on the screen right in the line of vision.

The new one is a UHD 50 inch so I needed to rearrange all the cables, units etc.

My Blu-ray 5.1 has 2 Optical Audio in ports, I use one for the V6 and one for the TV.

I unplugged the Toslink cable from the V6, sorted out all the stuff to the best position and then tried to reconnect the cable into the V6, I found that a finger nail sized insert in the digital audio port had come out with the cable.

I could not reconnect the cable, the little insert went back into port but the cable would not stay put, I suspect a spring clip had flown off somewhere.

I rang VM and after trying to explain to a couple of people who had difficulty grasping what had happened, maybe my fault, it was agreed that a new V6 would be delivered, sadly from past experience all my saved recording will be lost.

I know that VM staff read these pages, or they did, please pretty please could you choose a different Musak supplier, after 18 minutes of listening to the shrieks and warbling of so called modern “music” my brain was ready to shut down to save me any further harm.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Beware the V6 Optical Audio port.

Presumably you use a soundbar or amp for audio, as you use Toslink. If so, all you need is an hdmi lead from Virgin box to tv, then Toslink from tv to amp etc. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I was under the impression that as my TV only outputs stereo two channel sound that's what I would get via Digital Audio from TV to my LG 5.1 Bluray system, but by using D.A. from my V6 box to the 5.1 I would get surround sound from all the speakers.

This certainly works as I have started to get up and answer the door several times before twigging it was on the TV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

TOSLINK is an old standard with limited capability. When you come to replace your LG, I recommend getting an AV receiver with HDMI inputs which are HDCP 2.2 compliant.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Similar thing happened to me
The optical lead goes into the port but it's very loose. Doesn't fall straight out but needs careful application of blu tac in order to get it to stay in correctly so you actually get sound out of it. I would ask for a replacement box as well but I don't want to lose all my recordings and series links
Would be useful if they ever upgrade the design of these to also have coaxial digital as these are far more robust or even better a secondary HDMI port even if it's only outputting the sound and not video
Not everybody want's to run all their equipment through an AV reciever, personally I don't as my various inputs require different picture settings on my TV and the AV reciever I have needs to be left on whatever input required in order for the HDMI pass through to work when it's on standby which is made worse by the relavent button on the remote no longer working meaning I have to kneel down and change it manually
I have a panasonic Blu ray player which has 2 HDMI outputs and you can set one of them to audio only which is ideal as cutting the video signal seems to help lip sync
I tried using an HDMI splitter from the V6 box but there is no video signal for some reason

Also does anybody know if the V6 box actually sends a full dolby digital surround signal through the optical lead or is that pureley reliant on the actual program ? every thing I have watched so far only has 2 channel digital audio
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The V6 will output DD 5.1 or 2-channel PCM depending on its audio setting.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos