Menu
BahnStormer
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Bad software update to V6 boxes on 29th July?

I've seen a few people complaining about previously working boxes suddenly dying this afternoon, so I think this might be part of a wider problem - or I just got REALLY unlucky and had two previously working boxes die within the same two hour window.

Gut feel is a corrupt software update sometime mid afternoon today.

Both TV's were working around lunch time, but my 9yr old son was complaining around 3pm that both TV's were broken, but I assumed he'd just set something incorrectly, but they the TiVo boxes are properly bust.... I can get them to to boot: Starting Up.... then the multilingual "Wilkommen/Welcome" page... then one of them them is totally dead... not even the usual signal errors or anything, just dead.... the other one had crazy fragmented picture and glitchy sound for a few seconds.... then dies.

I've tried the complete "5min off at the wall" reboot and new cables, etc... the picture is getting through for the boot screen, but nothing useful after that.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bad software update to V6 boxes on 29th July?

Hi BahnStormer,

There hasn't been a software update to either of my boxes.  Plus VM always perform the updates during the night when few people will suffer any disruption.

Are they Tivo or V6 boxes?

It's possible that there is a local outage. have you tried the Check service status at the top of the page? you can also run tests from there.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Heya,

You've been correctly advised that software updates are generally performed overnight to allow the necessary reboots to cause the minimal disruption.

Out of interest, which part of the country are you in? I'd be checking the service status page, and if nothing's reported and you can't boot those boxes, get on the phone to faults and report it. If there's an area fault, it would likely be reported by now, and the opposing possibility is that it's only you affected.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BahnStormer
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As per message subject, both boxes are V6.

The one in the Lounge seems to have improved this morning - was previously glitching and then dying... now seems 

The family room is still the same.... splash screens and then dead.... on hold with VM again.... 30mins and counting again....

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Are the boxes well ventilated?  I wonder if the increased heat is the issue for your boxes?

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos
BahnStormer
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

plenty of ventilation - even when the box seems "dead", if I run a cable directly to the TV, it's fine.

I think I've solved it - it seems that the video mode selection isn't working and it always tries to output 4K after it resets... the final output is capable of 4K, but I was running it via a soundbar that wasn't... I can get it to work for one power cycle, but then it defaults to 4K again... I have to re-route all the wires, reset it back to 1080P passthrough and it's fine again until the next power off...

I've relented to just running it directly from the TiVO to the TV and I'll live with the slight audio lag until the next software update.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi BahnStormer,

There was a noticebale audio delay tonight on BT Sport Ultimate with the football, however BT commentators stated around the  30 minute mark that those problems were caused by them having to use the local TV feed. It actually got better after half time.

It was noted in another forum post that VM are trialling a software update which is affecting CH5 cacth up. I wonder if you have this trial update and if it affecting other functionality.

It might be worth checking your version number and seeing if it's part of this trial? it would be good feedback for VM and also help rectify your issues.

I've not experienced any isses, however as far as I know I'm on the latest software/hardware version that isn't part of this trial software update.

I'm running Hardware version 2048.0 and Software version 20.8.2.RC3-VMB-11-C68

You can check your version by going to Help & Settings > System Info >System Info.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm running Hardware version 2048.0 and Software version 20.9.2.RC3-VMB-11-C68.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos