Menu
ibbotson
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

BBC IPlayer

Having problems with BBC IPlayer via TV/Tivo box, continually buffering or losing signal. BBC Iplayer plays perfectly via tablet so surely cannot be Internet issue. Can anyone advise.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC IPlayer

Is it a TiVo or is it a V6? You've referred to both - the two are very different beasts, especially where iPlayer and streaming apps are concerned.

If you're not sure, check here 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ibbotson
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Sorry it's a V6

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator

So the V6 gets its internet connection through your homehub. Meaning two questions are pertinent..

1; Do you have any problems with your home broadband (ideally over a wired Ethernet connection)?

2: How is your V6 connected to your homehub? I'd presume WiFi, if you've not said otherwise.

On your V6, follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and the connection status is reported, including your WiFi signal strength if appropriate. What's shown?

Do you have problems with any other streaming apps or OnDemand programmes? They're all using the same 'net connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

ibbotson
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I have checked settings and it gives wireless at 45% (marginal) I don't have any issues with other apps ie netflix/prime. Is the signal strength adequate ?  how can I boost it

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Netflix, Prime, OnDemand, iPlayer, they all use the exact same connection. So if you have insufficient WiFi signal for one, they all would be affected.

It would appear therefore, that your underlying problem is poor WiFi signal in the room you're using the V6 in - that's not a V6 issue so much as a WiFi issue. You'll get much more detailed advice on WiFi issues in the WiFi board here where I'd recommend posting - but it would certainly be worth trying other devices (tablets, phones, laptops) in the same location, in order to verify this theory.

0 Kudos
ibbotson
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I tried again tonight to play a BBC  iplayer program via the V6 box but had to give up becouse of buffering, but I tried the same iplayer program via another device in the same room adjacent to the V6 box and it played perfectly. So I can only presume that the V6 is not picking up the same signal strength as other devices. Is there an issue with the V6 and should I contact virgin.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

@ibbotson wrote:

So I can only presume that the V6 is not picking up the same signal strength as other devices. Is there an issue with the V6 and should I contact virgin.

It's a possibility, but not the only one.

What was the other device - assuming you've got a VM Superhub with default settings, is the V6 using the 5Ghz band (often better for bandwidth/speed) and your other device is using 2.4Ghz (stronger signal but less throughput - in simple terms)?

Do you only find this with one device, or do other laptops/phones/tablets also work ok in the same location?

0 Kudos
ibbotson
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Yes all other devices work on WiFi OK in same location. How do I check bandwidth on V6 & super hub?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Bit of an awkward one that, especially if you're using the SH in the default mode where it's designed to make "roaming" between the 2 bands seamless.

I can't check at the moment, but I think the V6 displays the active band in the top-right corner of the network connections screen. Certainly any individual device (phone/tablet/laptop) should flag up whether you're using 2.4or 5Ghz.

The only other way is to intentionally split the SSIDs in the SH so each band has a different name.

0 Kudos