Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Audio sockets on V6 Box

I have an excellent surround sound  system  which picks up its audio signal from  the Digital Optical Audio  output on the back of my current TIVO Box.

I am thinking of upgrading the TIVO Box to a V6 and also (apparently) my  Super Hub 2ac is upgraded at the same time.  I have no problem  with a new ethernet cable between the new hub and the new TV6 box, although the cable will need to be much longer than the 3 metre one Virgin supplies as the Hub is in one room and the  V6 box is in another . I don't want to use wifi for this as we already load the wifi heavily at peak times.

However if I loose the  Digital Optical Audio  output on the back of my current TIVO Box when changing over to a V6 box, then I have lost my current excellent surround sound system .  This is not my idea of an upgrade !!

Anybody know the answer 

i.e. What auxiliary audio outputs are there on the back of the new TV6 box ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Audio sockets on V6 Box

V6 box back

The sockets in use on the back of your Virgin TV V6 box are:

1. HDMI - connect your Virgin TV V6 box to your HDTV
  2. Ethernet - connect your Virgin TV V6 box to your home network using a wired connection
  3. Digital Audio - for connection to an audio system
  4. Power socket - connects to the power adapter

Also on the back of your Virgin TV V6 box are:

• Coax connection (1) - connects your Virgin TV V6 box to Virgin Media
  • Power switch (7) - turn your Virgin TV V6 box off, or restart it
  • Audio (2) - not currently in use
  • Scart Out - not currently in use

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that
The image is helpful but there are various standards for digital audio.
My surround sound ( an sony 5.1 system) accepts Coaxial digital audio and Fibre Optic digital audio as well as good old fashioned analogue left and right on two RCA coaxial connectors.

Any idea what the digital audio socket on the V6 actually is or what comes out of it ? - it certainly doesn't look like a Digital Optical Port to me.

Another problem with changing is can you still access the new HUb3 (which comes with the TV6) via the well known ( to Cisco routers anyway) 192-168-n-n local address. On the super Hub 2ac this enables you to:-

(a) Change the router password to something you have a chance of remembering
(b) Change the 2.4 Ghz SSID and Passphrase to something more meaningful eg SSID "whatawasteoftime" and Passphrase "corruptmymindagain" ( which are NOT my WiFi SSID and Passphrase but are very hard to crack but easy to remember!)
(c) and do the same thing on the 5 Ghz channel.

I really do wonder if this "upgrade" is going to work for me - there seems to be a lot of people on this forum having hassles with it at the moment.

Currently my two ViVo and Super Hub 2ac ain't broke so why fix it ??
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator

First of all, many many thanks for your image (I have nothing else to go on, shame on you Liberty Global ( Sorry Virgin) 

After studying your image) it appears to me that from left to right we may have

1  RF Cable Connector

2 Coaxial Digital Audio  ( maybe)

3 5 pin Scart Output 

4 HDMI  (Digital Sound and Vision)

5 DM Port  (Digital test Port)

6 Ethernet (Cat 5 or Cat 6 if you are running long leads)

7 Possibly (can't tell from the picture) Optical Audio In

8 DC Power In ( 12V??)

9 DC Power switch.

If anyone else can shed any more light on the subject I would appreciate it -  I don't want to spend several hundred pounds replacing a perfectly serviceable surround sound system.  Looks like  this may be a case of Caveat Emptor !!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@brianabc wrote:
Any idea what the digital audio socket on the V6 actually is or what comes out of it ? - it certainly doesn't look like a Digital Optical Port to me.

It's S/PDIF, so your TOSLINK cable will work.

@brianabc wrote:
Another problem with changing is can you still access the new HUb3 (which comes with the TV6) via the well known ( to Cisco routers anyway) 192-168-n-n local address. On the super Hub 2ac this enables you to:-

(a) Change the router password to something you have a chance of remembering
(b) Change the 2.4 Ghz SSID and Passphrase to something more meaningful eg SSID "whatawasteoftime" and Passphrase "corruptmymindagain" ( which are NOT my WiFi SSID and Passphrase but are very hard to crack but easy to remember!)
(c) and do the same thing on the 5 Ghz channel.

I really do wonder if this "upgrade" is going to work for me - there seems to be a lot of people on this forum having hassles with it at the moment.

Currently my two ViVo and Super Hub 2ac ain't broke so why fix it ??

Unless you are on VIVID 350, there is no need for a Hub 3.0.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou for that Roger.

Looking carefully at the image supplied earlier, yes the Audio Output nearest the 12V Dc in and 12 DC power switch does look like a TOSLINK socket and I can definitely confirm that  my  Sony Home Theatre system is currently  using   Sony/Phillips Digital Inter Face (well it would do wouldn't it)  both in  the electrical format (single RCA socket receiving DVD/BLURay) and Optically Isolated  (TOSLINK receiving the TiVo box).  So many thanks for that.

As far as the Hub is concerned, as far as I know I'm not on VIVID 350 so we can stay with my simple to access Super Hub 2ac until Virgin force me onto the Hub 3 . Hopefully by then someone on this forum will have figured out how to "get at" the settings in the Hub 3 so I don't need to change all the WiFi kit we have running here.

PS

For the curious , yes  I was an electronics engineer before I retired !

Brian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 7 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi there is a digital optical port on the V6, however I have my connection from my amp (optical ) direct to my TV and get perfect 5.1 sound, because I am connected from V6 to TV with an HDMI lead it just takes a different route.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Micky,

That's two definite "yes"s  that there is a Optical Audio port on the new V6 box  -  you'd think Virgin would make that sort of info available especially as now so many customers have theatre sound apparatus connected  -  only the very latest can pick up sound via HDMI, most get it via  either analogue 2 channel  RCA (which has frequently been well corrupted by the electronics in older TVs),  or much better quality via the digital signals on either the fully isolated Optical Digital Audio  TOSLINK. (fibre optic cable and connectors) or the electrical Digital Audio (single RCA to RCA connector with a high frequency coaxial cable between them).  Most modern  DVD/Blue-Ray players and Satellite or cable boxes come with one or the other (or sometimes both) of these digital sources as well as HDMI.

I could use the analogue 2 channel RCA outputs on my TV but as the TV set is not quite the latest thing, I have found that the sound quality from the RCA outputs is not as good as via TOSLINK.  In my case, although Dolby 5.1  from the  TV's  RCA Analogue outputs  certainly does  work, the quality of Dolby signalling in these signals seems poor thus giving erratic surround sound.

Thanks fro the reply

Brian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 9 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Another thing to bear in mind is that a TV will probably only provide 5.1 from its internal Freeview tuner to HDMI ARC and downgrade 5.1 from any external input to PCM 2.0. I'm virtually certain that my Panasonic plasma delivers only PCM 2.0.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger

Yes that makes sense -  certainly the analogue audio (RCA Left and Right) output from my TV carries very little dolby information -  the theatre sound rig  generates "pseudo-surround" from that output most of the time, whereas  from the TOSLINK coming from my current TiVo box we always have dolby 2.1 and often 5.1  depending on the sound source -  certainly most of the current Netflix  stuff is 5.1 encoded ( and very impressive it is too -  Black Mirror is not the same in  Dolby 2.1 !! )  

Any way many thanks -  I'll be pressing send very soon  and so far I certainly DON'T WANT a HUB3 and nobody on the forum  so far seems to be able to  re-set all the SSID, Passwords and LAN addresses to what the rest of their house uses .  Of course if Virgin sends a HUB3 as well ........????

0 Kudos