Menu
SamD1890
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Asian channels pixelating

Hi, 

I’ve noticed in last few weeks that the Asian mela international channel package is pixelating a lot. I moved the box to another room and still happens. Is anyone else having this issue? Some Asian channels are worse than others. The other channels are fine such as channel 5, sky news, bbc etc. It’s only these Asian package channels. Internet is fine. Phone line is fine. I done a test by logging in and it said everything is fine and no known faults. I reset the box and took all wires out and put back in all tight and still same issue. It’s been happening last few weeks. Can anyone help or someone at Virgin Media get in touch and see what can be done please or announce if there’s a known issue.

thank you. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Asian channels pixelating

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this is best reported to VM. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up. They can do these once you've reported it - either by phone or waiting on here.

If you can name some specific, individual channels (including SD/HD) that are affected, it may help diagnose whether there's any commonality to them. Channels aren't broadcast through Virgin's network in the same order as their EPG positions. It won't alter the end advice, but may well help pinpoint the issue.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and you'll ideally need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Otherwise VM staff will respond on here, but it may take a few days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
SamD1890
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. 

looking at twitter, it seems like it’s an issue with Virgin media down their end. I’m almost certain it’s not an issue at my end with anything. It’s a few of the Asian channels. One of the ones is 807, Sony SAB TV. This person on twitter has same issue…

1332D0A8-A5B4-4D0F-B154-E872E63F026E.jpeg

Virgin media responded…

A48BFBDB-EA46-4378-A07E-6DC42BDFFCC8.jpeg

This is a premium channel included on the Asia international channels. Out of the 11/12 Asian channels, it’s roughly about 3-4 it’s happening on. It gets very pixelated and fuzzy sometimes. I tried the box on a different incoming Virgin media signal at front of house and still same Issue so I’m assuming it’s the channels and may be happening to all subscribers of this channel. If anyone else has this particular channel or experiencing any pixelated Indian channels on Virgin media tv, please let me know here. I don’t think Virgin media have this as a priority to fix. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

For service status issues, check on the official VM status page.. https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status - where I suspect you'll find the "some channels will be pixellating" fault that you're referring to. And if one channel is the Sony SAB, this could easily be the same issues

There's 2 caveats with going down this avenue...

1: That fault has been cited in, easily 5 or 6 threads now and has also included reference to watching on the TV Go app. That makes it a widespread (potentially national) issue and different to most signal/pixellation issues.

2: Signal & pixellation faults tend to be more localised, often only affecting your installation, and the service status webpage isn't much use for these. Using the 0800 5610061 phoneline is much better for these types of faults.

@SamD1890 wrote:

Out of the 11/12 Asian channels, it’s roughly about 3-4 it’s happening on. It gets very pixelated and fuzzy sometimes.

Can you be specific about which ones? That's going to be critical to establishing if this is the same fault - the ticket on the status page is vague in this regard, so I'm hoping VM staff can cross-reference.

@SamD1890 wrote:

I tried the box on a different incoming Virgin media signal at front of house and still same Issue

Can you explain what you mean by this?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
SamD1890
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for reply. 

main channels it’s happening is 

807, 808, 826, 827. 

in reference to the clarification about the second point your raised… at front of house I have this cable little box signal…

AE1297B9-0CE4-476C-AB23-195C32109C39.jpeg

currently I have the Virgin box at back of house and the wiring goes all the way around the house to the back home. From the picture, that wire at the top going straight in to the wall goes direct to the front room. So I even plugged the Virgin box in this room on this incoming wire and still same issue. I was thinking that there might be a problem with the wiring around the house going to the back room that’s why it’s pixelated. 

I appreciate your replies and insight. Will Virgin media pick this up here and see it do you think? 

0 Kudos
SamD1890
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

It says this when I do the faults thing for the tv section.  So all good it says. 

6D6CC95B-F874-422A-9DB1-D837F22A7124.png

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The channels you've quoted are spread across a few different frequencies - so if you do have signal issues, I'd expect you to have noticed issues on a few other channels (that would be on the same TX) too - you've not mentioned any others. Just by means of a quick test, do you have any issues with QVC Style? (I have my reasons for picking that channel)

I can't work out from your description of your wiring - I think you're saying you have multiple coax connection points in your home, although one box subscription, is that right?

If QVC Style is pixellated on your TV box, you may yet have a signal issue. If it's ok, then your issue is possibly something else and you'll be best off waiting for VM staff to respond on here. That may take another day or so.

In the meantime, do you have access to an Android or iOS device on which you can download and try out these channels using the TV Go app ?

0 Kudos
SamD1890
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I checked QVC Style as you mentioned and for the few minutes I was watching it seems okay. I don’t watch TV at all. My mom watches these channels and she’s noticed the issues and she informed me it’s been happening a few weeks and then I had a look an it pixelated every so often. I sometimes watch sky news and bbc and browse around and everything else is fine. 

that’s right, I have multiple coax connections and just the one box. I had another box before but cancelled it as didn’t need. That’s why I have more than one coax connection coming in. 

That’s a good idea about the tv go app, I never thought of it. I’ll try check out if I can access these channels and if it pixelates. I’ll update once I’ve done it. 

thanks for your help and informative replies. 

0 Kudos
SamD1890
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I download the Virgin tv go app on my tablet and the channels are pixelating. The same ones that are pixelating on my virgin tv box. thanks for the idea.

I assume this is good news as it’s not a fault down my end? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@SamD1890 wrote:

I download the Virgin tv go app on my tablet and the channels are pixelating. The same ones that are pixelating on my virgin tv box. thanks for the idea.

That suggests your issue is not signal related, the TV Go app isn't using your cable feed.

I'd wait on here for VM staff to pick this up and go from here.

0 Kudos