cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps turning screen black

Loosecanons
Superfast

Hi,

More and more recently I am experiencing a black unresponsive screen when loading apps such as Netflix or YouTube. I often have to reboot the V6.

My Roku works fine. I wondered what the cause might be.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin supply your home with a broadband connection. Your router converts that broadband into Ethernet & WiFi connections which your devices connect to.

This section of the board covers TV issues, and there's a separate board here where WiFi issues can be explored in much more detail. In short though - if your broadband connection fails for whatever reason, then that will affect all onward connections.

I'd strongly recommend spending 10 minutes setting up a free BQM which monitors your broadband line 24/7 and will assist in identifying connection issues and also telling them apart from WiFi router problems.

Feel free to drop a post in the WiFi board if you want to discuss those issues in more detail.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does the app load first, and then give a blank screen? or just not load?

Can you still use OnDemand?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi

Thanks for replying.

Netflix flashes up then returns to the app meno. Iplayer just freezes. YouTube is the same.

Network says 48% marginal

Test connection is successful 

Thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Loosecanons wrote:

Network says 48% marginal

If, by this, you mean the WiFi signal strength in the V6 network connections screen, then there's probably the underlying issue.

This could cause various issues with OnDemand & streaming, and the apps not loading could just be another one of those.

Has it always been like this?

Hi 

No it hasn't always been like this. Yes that's my WiFi strength. 47% now.

It seems to have coincided with the 'hub upgrade' that was automatically applied last month that has caused intermittent drops on WiFi

My family use their mobile data usage as WiFi is too unreliable.

We also have 10m cables running as well now.

I'll try a different  frequency for the V6 as it's on 5 GHz at the moment 

Thanks

Does YouTube or ITV Hub go to a Black screen and back to the App menu?

Hub 5 Modem Mode, Asus XT8
My Broadband Ping - Gig1 Modem Mode

Hi sorry for the delay.

All apps were going black. However something has changed as they are all fine.

Unfortunately the TV is pixelating a lot and for some reason the 5Ghz WiFi was disabled.

No idea why

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Loosecanons wrote:

Unfortunately the TV is pixelating a lot

Pixellation on live TV is often a signal fault, if a single reboot fails to resolve.

Hi Loosecanons,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your TV services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. 

I am glad to hear the problem with your Apps has rectified itself now, but as with most technology - when one thing gets fixed, something else becomes broken! Lol

I've already taken the time to look into your services and can see Japitts was correct, your set top box's specs are in need of an engineer as they are out of balance.

I've booked an engineer for you now for the earliest time slot, you can see it on your Online Account and even change it if it's not suitable 🙂

Please let us know how the visit goes!

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hi

Thanks for looking into this.  It's interesting that something seems wrong.

Is it a coincidence that my WiFi rebooted last night and 5Ghz returned? 

Thanks for booking an engineer.  I'll  take a look at my account 

Thank you 😊