cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any good deals for existing customers out there?

DavieGrant
Tuning in

Currently on Bigger Bundle (200mb) 2 boxes plus Sports £86 per month which will revert to £130 on 10/1/22. Unable nor willing to pay that amount.

Tried to get similar deal but apparantly nothing available.

Got through to retentions and best offer is £80 for Gig 1 with everything Sports & Movies (which I dont need) as have Netflix / Amazon prime but have to also take out unlimited sim contract for £25 which we do not need. We have 2 mobile contracts with 7 & 10 months oustanding with low calls,text & data usage.

Pity Virgin can't make it more simple for long standing existing customers instead of upselling when we don't require these additional services.

Looks like we are going to have to move provider now as they are all giving new customers great deals but no doubt forgetting about existing ones.

Any thoughts or advice before we decide to cancel?

3 REPLIES 3

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @DavieGrant 

Looking at the prices you stated,even as a long standing existing customer  you are already on a discounted deal.

Since you are still in contract until 10/1/22 you will probably find that speaking to Retentions from the 9th December when you can give 30 days notice will stand you in better stead for negotiating a new contract.

The vast majority of customers don't get new customer deals, but if you research competitors and prices you will have the figures necessary to barter more strongly for a new reduced contract.

Or you could do what some other people do, switch providers at the end of your current contract, then sign up again with another provider when that deal ends, so continuing getting new customers deals every 18/24 months with a new supplier.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@DavieGrant Pity Virgin can't make it more simple for long standing existing customers instead of upselling when we don't require these additional services.

Even at full price, VM make a net loss on fixed connections, so it's hardly surprising that they are in no hurry to offer discounts.  If you push at the correct time and in the right way then you can get a discounts, but it is a balance for VM between retaining customers and becoming a pushover.  If you try and renegotiate before the current discount has expired they'll not be very interested - the signal you're giving them is that you're too keen to stay to justify a keen offer.

The critical elements of getting a discount are timing and knowledge of what you could get elsewhere (as per @newapollo's advice), and staying away from "loyal customer, it's not fair" arguments.  You might care about loyalty, nobody at VM does, and at a personal level neither does a retention agent.  All that matters for a retention agent is retaining your business at the lowest discount they have to give away, and the maximum will be set by management based on commercial performance across the business.  Always use competitor deals as the basis of discussions, and multiply these up to the 18 month total when speaking with the agent.  If Sky offer a £35 a month package, and VM are asking £44, the difference isn't "just £9, and you get out fast faster internet", it is £9 for 18 months, so £162.  If the agent thinks you're unlikely to leave they won't offer a good price - and they do this job day in, day out, they go on training courses on how to read customer's language, they are paid incentives for keeping customers at minimum discounts, and they'll probably work in offices where there's personal performance charts all over the wall, and where the less successful agents are regularly culled.  So you need to know what's available elsewhere, and phone up with a mindset that assumes you will be cancelling and taking the competitor offer unless the agent can offer you something very competitive.

Often the best deal from an inbound call to retentions won't be the best offer, which would be from an outbound retentions agent during the final days of your notice period, but you can't rely on that, so if you issue 30 days notice (obviously when the current fixed term is up, or in the last 30 days) make sure that you have a new provider setup.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

And just to add - have a play with VM's build a bundle site to get an idea of pricing for whatever combination of services you want.

If you're in a good position as already mentioned, you can target a figure somewhere between the new-customer & standard prices, all in exchange for a new 18month minimum term.

And bear in mind that it can sometimes be cheaper to take additional services when they attract sizeable bundle discounts - landlines especially.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks