Menu
thfcbruce
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Amazon Prime not working, only shows menus

Hi,

A few months ago Amazon Prime stopped working on my Tivo box. The menu works fine, and I can view a few trailers when they are in the 'Overview' menu, but I just get a black screen when I try to play anything at all.

I have changed the HDMI cable, and have the Tivo wired directly to the Virgin Hub. If I restart the Tivo from within the settings menu (not the main power!), then Amazon Prime does work, but just for a while, and as long as I don't exit it! If I then view anything in the main Virgin Media menus, or a broadcast or downloaded show, and then go back into Amazon Prime, it fails again, and only works with yet another restart.

I tried lowering the resolution and it will work when set to a very low res, but it looks awful, no point in doing that for 4K broadcasts.

It is therefore clear that something is wrong with the Tivo as it will work only on a very low res or by constantly restarting it via the Settings menu. 

I have noticed similar issues on this forum going back to last year which has affected many people. It is disheartening to see that Virgin Media seem to have no interest whatsoever in fixing this issue. So it seems I am stuck with a malfunctioning box and a service that I am paying for but cannot use.

If anyone has found a solution, then that would be nice.

Thanks all.

0 Kudos
jaybe
Dialled in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Amazon Prime not working, only shows menus

Hi,

Can you check the other apps like iPlayer or YouTube to see if you have the same problem with them?

I believe I may have the same problem, and what you describe is what I have also with Prime, but it also affects all of the on demand services - I was actually trying to watch something on Netflix and able to select a film, but just get a blank screen, and although options are there it won't play anything on any of the apps. I need to restart the box for it to work, it's like it's not connecting properly to the on demand services.

0 Kudos
thfcbruce
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I checked and the other apps didn't work either. Iplayer and YouTube failed.

However, in another twist, it all now seems to be working!

0 Kudos
jaybe
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Interesting, I have just gone on to mine and it’s not working again. I rebooted yesterday to get it working and today it is not, so no doubt a reboot will get it working again until tomorrow.

0 Kudos
thfcbruce
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It seems to be working fine for me now. It does seem inconsistent. Sadly, I'm not convinced it will remain working especially as this issue has been going on for a long time and VM seem reluctant to fix it.

0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There are two pieces of equipment involved - why is it not a problem with the TV?

But seriously, the problem occurs at the point that the V6 and TV exchange content protection information (HDCP).
If this fails then the assumption is you are trying to copy the content illegally.

The version of HDCP for UHD was 'improved' to try to prevent unauthorised copying.

It seems that the protocols involved haven't been properly disseminated / implemented such that copyright is protected but end users can't always legitimately view content.

The fix? Could be TV or could be V6 - Time to point fingers!

0 Kudos
thfcbruce
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well it has now failed again for me. I can't watch Amazon Prime or YouTube, and I also cannot watch anything that is Virgin OnDemand either. Stuck.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi thfcbruce,

Thanks for posting. My apologies for the service issues. I've had a check on our system today and there is a congestion issue affecting the service. The fault reference for you is F008319543. The estimated fix date is the 3rd September. 

We are planning to undertake some upgrades to support the increased demand for our services in your area. When completed, any slow broadband speeds and buffering on TiVo apps you may be experiencing (particularly at peak times) will be resolved

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
thfcbruce
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

TThanks for that. We just received a letter from VM saying that work will be undertaken in our area on 29th Sep. Also, we don't have problems with a second TV box in the bedroom.

Also, I just spoke with VM support and they are sending out a Cat6 network cable as they think the Cat5 one isn't sufficient for all the streaming services as they need a good Internet connection.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me. 

I am glad we're doing that for you. Let me know if you need further assistance in the future

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos