Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Amazon Prime: app repeatedly fails to load programmes

Hi all

I have a recurring problem with the Amazon Prime app on my recently purchased new Samsung Q90R QLED TV and Virgin TiVo V6 box. Basically, the Amazon app will load fine and offer me the full catalogue of films etc. When I select a specific programme, I then get offered the various episodes on the next screen. BUT when I select an episode to watch, the app tries to load and the TV screen goes black with a small revolving arrow showing it is trying to load the programme. However, this loading fails consistently and ends up with a dialogue box saying the program cannot be loaded at the moment, and to try again later or to contact Amazon Helpdesk.

I've raised this issue twice recently as a Support Request with the Virgin Helpdesk Team, and on both occasions, I was referred on to Tier 2 support who have successfully been able to resolve the problem. After their help, I can load all Amazon Prime programmes including UHD 4K TV programmes. However, this 'failure to load' problem keeps recurring. Virgin have checked my speed connections etc. on my TiVo V6 and all this is excellent. I am on the Virgin M350 broadband package.

The Tier 2 Helpdesk solution which has worked successfully twice before was to proceed as follows:

1. Turn off the TiVo V6 box for a couple of minutes, then switch back on.

2. When everything has loaded, I was then told to go to Home ---> Help & Settings ---> Settings ---> Network ---> Connect to Virgin Media Service. Once the 5 stages in this section had loaded correctly, the Amazon Prime app then worked perfectly.

However, Amazon Prime has now failed again!!! So I've followed all the above instructions once more, but unfortunately this time, this has NOT worked. I really don't want to have to keep telephoning Virgin Support about this same problem.

This is driving me nuts! Can anyone help please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Amazon Prime: app repeatedly fails to load programmes

How is your V6 connected to your Hub 3.0? Direct Ethernet cable, WiFi 5GHz or WiFi 2.4GHz?

Perform a V6 speedtest as follows:

Home > Help & Settings > Help > Our Other Products > Broadband > Take a Speed Test >

When you see the ‘Start TV Speed Test’ button on the screen, press the Play button on your remote, not OK, and report the download and upload speeds.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your help!

The TiVo V6 is connected to the Hub 3.0 by WiFi 2.5GHz via a Netgear Powerline which sits right behind the TV within 15 inches of the TiVo box. The actual Smart TV itself (to access Samsung Smart Hub) is connected to the Netgear Powerline via a Cat 7 LAN cable.

The speed test results are: Down 41.1 Mbps; Up 36.6 Mbps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

You problem is almost certainly down to sharing a powerline connection, giving your smart TV a Ferrari connection and your V6 a Lada connection.

As a diagnostic step, I would give the V6 the Ethernet connection from your powerline and the smart TV the slow WiFi connection and see if this resolves your V6 issues.

In the long term, I, personally, would consider connecting the V6 to the Hub 3.0’s own WiFi 5GHz if there is a strong enough signal but this may require some settings changes in the Hub 3.0 to separate out the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFis.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

OK, I'll certainly try that suggestion.

Do I need to change any settings in the TiVo V6 if I connect it by LAN to the Netgear Powerline? Or is it just a case of simply plugging in the LAN cable to the TiVo box, and TiVo will automatically recognise that it is now on a wired connection rather than a wireless connection?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The easiest way to swap to Ethernet connection for the V6 is to power off the V6, switch back left of box, plug the Ethernet cable in then power on.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

OK, this is where it gets completely unexpected. I changed over to the LAN connection as you suggested, and I then re-booted the TiVo V6 and re-ran the speed test. The figures I got with the LAN connection were slower than WiFi. The LAN speed results were Down: 38.4 Mbps; Up: 36.7 Mbps (compared to WiFi 2.4GHz Up: 41.1 Mbps; Down: 36.6 Mbps).

So I've gone back to a WiFi connection to the TiVo V6, but this time I'm using the 5GHz connection from the Netgear Powerline. I was expecting the 5GHz WiFi speed test figures to be much better, but they were actually very similar to the standard 2.4GHz, although in Network Settings, it claims the connection speed is several hundred Mbps, compared to 72 Mbps on the 2.4GHz connection previously.

I tried again to connect to the Amazon app using the LAN connection to the TiVo V6; and then the 5GHz WiFi to the TiVo V6 - but unfortunately, I'm still not able to get Amazon Prime to load and play an actual video.

If I refer back to my original post, I've been able to successfully connect using 2.4GHz WiFi to Amazon Prime perfectly (with 4K UHD videos loading AND playing perfectly), but this was only after Virgin Tier 2 Helpdesk were involved. So what else could be wrong here? Is there other reason why Amazon Prime works and plays videos perfectly OK.... and then suddenly it doesn't? Is there anything else I can try?

Many thanks for your help - much appreciated 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I would take the powerline completely out of the equation and try using the Hub 3.0’s own WiFi 5GHz.

This, of course, requires a good WiFi signal which may not be possible (and is the reason for using the powerline in the first place).

I suspect the powerline is the cause of the issue.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

If you connect the V6 directly to the hub with an Ethernet cable all will be fine.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have noticed problems with the Amazon app also. At the end of a show it sometimes fails and just shows a black screen. The only way out is the TV button but this doesn't seem to close the app properly since it, or indeed any other app can be started without a system restart.

0 Kudos