All4 app excessive buffering on V6 box. No problem on other apps

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: All4 App

All streaming apps & OnDemand use the same internet connection, so if there's issues with that connection - everything that uses the 'net should be equally affected.

Might be worth checking your streaming connection using the speed test : Follow Home > Help & Settings > Help > TV Care > (top of screen)> TV Speed test

How is your V6 connected to your homehub - is it Ethernet or WiFi?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Chris1003
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Wifi

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris1003,

Unplug the box from the mains and leave it a minute or two before starting it back up. Hopefully this will help refresh it.

To perform a speed test on the set top box. go to Home > Help & Settings > Help > Our Other Products > Broadband.
Then select ‘Take a speed test’. It should give a thumbs up
To see the actual speed press do the above but press the Play button rather than the OK button

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Both methods of doing the speed test should give you the same result and be a good test, but ultimately it harks back to all online streaming using the same net connection.

@Chris1003  - you mentioned in your first post that you had no problem on other apps. Can you confirm what other apps you've tried?

If you've not already, try watching an OnDemand programme directly from the V6 EPG/menu - if it's a BBC programme it'll load the iPlayer app, any other broadcaster will use VM's VoD platform. If that works, then the issue is likely with the C4 app and it's worth trying the same programme from another device and/or connection. If that also has problems, then the issue is on the 'net connection from your V6 : which can then be troubleshooted bit-by-bit if necessary.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Chris1003
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello Dave

unplugged and restarted. No effect as bad buffering on All4 remained.

Did speed test. Got red thumbs down.speed shown as v 1mbps ^ 20.6 mbps egg timer 55.3 s

Did Which speed test :

download 2.5 mbps, upload 3.6 mbps

My virgin package says I should be getting up to 200 mbps!!!

what should I do?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Let's break this down - your V6 connects to your home superhub for an onward internet connection, so let's take nothing for granted here. Ordinarily I would move this thread to the broadband board but let's keep things here just for now.

Using a directly wired Ethernet connection to a laptop, what speeds do you get with that device? That will eliminate any issues with WiFi.

VM can do very little with your WiFi, but the broadband speed is what matters. And everything - OnDemand from your V6 included - flows from that.

0 Kudos
Chris1003
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Netflix,iplayer,itv hub and my 5 all work ok but not All4

when used on demand menu as suggested, Netflix and Iplayer ok but programmes from 5, itv hub sky 1and 4 all buffered badly.

All4 app on my iPad works fine.

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Worthwhile doing a SamKnows Realspeed test which identifies both the speed delivered to the Hub3 or Hub4 and then to the testing device which can be WiFi-connected:

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

For example:

C6DA0140-3769-44EC-82C1-C1039AA3E940.jpeg

PS Not over 200 because I’m currently streaming the tennis on Prime Video to my TV 360.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C,

That link doesn't work with all hub 3's. It doesn't work on mine

Hardware version: 10
Software version

: 9.1.1912.304

This one works on mine https://speedtest.samknows.com/

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
0 Kudos