Menu
Jack881
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

All non-HD non freeview channels Distorted

Hi,

After hours on hold last week I finally managed to report the fact that all of my channels that are non-hd and non-freeview are distorted  and unwatchable. I reset my box and checked all my cables etc. etc. The call centre told me that they would monitor my connection and a few days later I received a text message telling me the issue had been resolved and to turn off my box for half an hour. I did this and the problem is still there! It cannot be a connection issue as BT sport Ultra 4K works fine as do all my other sports channels in HD but not the SD versions.

This is really annoying as I love to watch the lifestyle channels and these seem to be the ones most affected! I pay for the ultimate oomph budle and really feel I am being ripped-off as I cannot watch the majority of the channels I pay for!

Is this happening to anyone else? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: All non-HD non freeview channels Distorted

Picture breakup & pixellation is nearly always a symptom of incoming signal problems, assuming you've reset your box once as a precaution.

It probably won't change the end result, but are there any particular channels that are affected? Channels are broadcast over VM's network in "clusters", if you can pick out specific ones, it may be that they're common to a particular broadcast frequency, for example.

suspect that the call centre "monitoring your connection" was a blag to get you off the phone, when the correct course of action may have been to arrange either a box-swap or an engineer visit - depending what remote diagnostics were done etc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I assume you have a UHD tv? Has the problem only just started?

Try changing the video output settings on the V6 box to 2160p, 2160p (24,25,30fps) only.

Can you describe the distortion you are seeing?

0 Kudos
Jack881
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The problem has been going on for about a month now. I’ve tried every combination of video settings possible. Yes I do have a UHD TV. The distortion is like squarish blocks of green and purple appearing like multicoloured rainbow type patterns with moments or clarity and the audio can be stuttering at times. This happens only on the channels that are not HD and only on channels that are not available on freeview as far as I can tell, such as Sky arts, Sky Witness, Yesterday, Gold, etc. The HD channels are crystal clear.

0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Really sounds like the V6 video processor is goosed.
Does this problem coincide with the hot weather we have had recently.

0 Kudos
Jack881
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It probably did. I have a second V6 box but that hasn’t been activated so I can’t check it

0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Worth a try. It was more than 12 months after I had my services installed that I fitted my second box and that activated without having to make a call.
It showed a 7400 error for 24 hours though.

0 Kudos
Jack881
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I just need to vent my frustration! I still cannot watch the channels I pay for. I have tried plugging in my second box but I get a 7400 error code and every time I phone customer 'service' I am but on hold and eventually am forced to give up! How can the company run like this? They seem to be completely unaccountable for customers not getting the services they pay for with no way to complain. The woman I spoke to on the phone said that there was no email address that I could write too? I don't know if Ofcom are the people to go to? Who do I complain to that I am unable to access my services?  

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jack881,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to hear you're having some issues with the channels, 

I'm not able to locate any details for you so I've popped you over a private message for these (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Then I can take a closer look at things.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for proving those details via private message Jack881,

I've had a look and I can see that your hub is actually out of specification, as well as your set top boxes being un-contactable.

I've arranged to send an engineer to take a closer look at things.

You can view the time and date of the appointment via your online account here

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos